Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Keio University dorms 2009/3/25 10:44
I am comming to Tokyo soon to study at Keio University and I'm not sure which dorms are better. Location wise or living wise.
I've never been to Tokyo before, I'm really exited about it and I really want to make the right choice.

Any help is appreciated. Anything you know about either Shimoda Student Village or Omori Student Dormitory.
If you ever been there or heard about it I'll be very grateful if you share.

http://www.ic.keio.ac.jp/en/life/housing/ryu_boshu.html

this is where I found the information on the dorms but there's not nearly enough information to help me make a choice.

Help!!!! Pls!!! Thanks!!!
by ssonia1  

? 2009/3/25 14:27
What do you need to know? To me, this is a lot of information. Are you having trouble looking at a map? Do you know which Keio campus you're attending?
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

deadline 2009/3/25 14:36
By the way, I hope you are aware that for those who hope to live there during March 2009
to July 31, 2009 or February 28, 2010, it's past deadline. Since you mentioned "soon."

map 2009/3/25 22:46
I do have some trouble with the map that's true. I mean I can find locations but since I never been there that doesn't tell me much. That's why I was hoping for some personal experiences and suggestions.
I can see the location of both campuses on the google map but I'm not sure what kind of areas they are. Or if one location is better than another????

I'll be going to Mita campus.

by ssonia1 rate this post as useful

Keio 2009/3/26 02:02
Hi,
I didnt go to Keio but my sister did and I was in Japan with her and hung out in her dorm.
She also went to the Mita Campus, but she was placed in a dorm outside of Tokyo in a place called Kawasaki.
Her apartment was called Plume Is.
It didnt take her too long to get into Tokyo. She had a great time if you want more let me know your email and I will get her to tell you anything you need to know!!
xxx
by Cola (guest) rate this post as useful

Omori then 2009/3/26 12:15
Well, if you're going to Mita, apparently the dorm in Kamata is much much closer than the one in Hiyoshi. In Tokyo area, you move on trains, so it's better to choose a place where train commuting is easier. Plus, the Kamata dorm seems to include meals.

Btw, to the Japanese, walking 15 minutes to commute or go shopping is the norm. Either Hiyoshi or Kamata are very convenient for your daily shopping. Kamata of course, is much closer to central Tokyo, as well as having good access to Yokohama and Kawasaki cities, while Hiyoshi Station is right in front of the Hiyoshi Campus.

.. 2009/3/26 13:27
Honestly, it comes down to,
Do you want to pay 76,600 or 59,000 with housing assistance in which your rent will be reduced even more to 49,000.

If it were me, and I needed to save money living in Tokyo, it would be a no brainer. If it were me of course.

In terms of transportation, then the Omori location wins.

Though at 76,600 for shared facilities, I would move there for short term, and depending on how long you are staying at keio, finding a new apartment or guesthouse on your own as soon as possible. For 76,600 you can certain fine something.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Just to add 2009/3/26 22:40
I agree that the Hiyoshi dorm would definitely be cheaper for the quality shown on the chart, but you have to keep in mind that your train pass will cost more, and if you buy 2 proper meals a day (without cooking your own) it will cost you at least 2 - 30000 yen a month.

reply to this thread