Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to say when entering hotel/ryokan 2009/3/27 00:25
I think there's a phrase you say when you enter the ryokan/hotelcsomething to the extend of we are here to trouble you or sorry to be a bother. Can anyone advise on how to say it?
by Gracy (guest)  

probably not necessary 2009/3/27 08:39
I would say "Konnichi wa"- you are a paying guest so there is no need to be apologetic about being there, or overly polite, especially at an ordinary hotel.

If you visit someone's house you say "O jama shimasu" before entering, which means "I will get in the way", and I suppose at a very small family-run ryokan you could say the same thing, but it would be quite an odd thing to say if you walked into an ordinary hotel.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

entering hotel/ryokan 2009/3/27 09:48
-----something to the extend of we are here to trouble you or sorry to be a bother. Can anyone advise on how to say it?-------

simple way is

"sumimasen"

for your way of saying 'sorry to trouble you' etc..such as at the Ryokan

"gomeiwaku kake de sumimasen."
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

what to say 2009/3/27 10:04
my mistake gomeiwaku is a wrong word here. sorry.
This way is short and simple and they will understand for 'sorry to trouble you'

"osewa de sumimasen."

. 2009/3/27 10:08
As Sira pointed out, you don't need to say anything "we are here to trouble you or sorry to be a bother". Hust approach the reception and say "konnichiwa".

As for "gomeiwaku wo kakete sumimasen", it is a useful phrase when you actually caused a trouble, like braking a dish or spilling water, and they cleaned up for you.

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/27 10:09
cc,

You mean "osewa ni narimasu"?

what to say 2009/3/27 10:13
yes, that's much better by.

. 2009/3/27 11:40
How about this one?
Osewa ni narimasu.

by kinako (guest) rate this post as useful

"osewa..." or "yoroshiku..." 2009/3/27 13:52
I don't think the locals say "ojama..." or "gomeiwaku..." when entering an establishment you are paying for no matter how small the place is.

When entering an inn or hotel, as suggested, "osewa ni narimasu." (I will be under your care.) or "yoroshiku onegaishimasu." (Thank you in advance.) would be typical greetings.

If these are too long for you to remember, you can just say, "Yoroshiku."

Looking at the dictionary, I suppose some people may translate "osewa" as "trouble."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

phrase 2009/3/27 15:11

Well, to be honest, if you can't speak Japanese at all, why bother with a phrase that will only make the ryokan THINK you speak Japanese? I sprinkle in the arigatou gozaimasu's and the sumimasens right and left, but I don't bother with other phrases because when the Japanese answer in Japanese, I'm clueless.
A ryokan/hotel will be fully aware that you are a guest and they will merely want you to be patient and polite while all of you deal with the language barrier.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

simple greeting 2009/3/27 17:40
"Osewa ni narimasu." and "yoroshiku onegaishimasu." aren't phrases that makes one think the speaker speaks Japanese. They're just simple greetings like "Nice to meet you." It will make a good impression. Not that you must always say it.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/27 18:45
I believe that as paying guests, upon entering, you can simply say "Konnichiwa" as suggested by Sira :)

Below is a list of phrases that you might have heard about before, Gracy.

As the "first" greeting, upon entering someone's home or maybe a family-run, small inn (and you don't find anyone at the reception, when there should be someone), first to call to get their attention would be:
- Konnichiwa (Hello)
- Gomen kudasai (I'm here to bother you; anyone in?)

At someone's home, again, after exchanging greetings and you are asked to step in, it would be:
- O-jama shimasu (I'll be disturbing you)
- Shitsurei shimasu (Excuse me)

Maybe at a traditional inn, when you are greeted by the lady who comes to greet you in your room, you could say:
- O-sewa ni narimasu (I'll be under your care, which I appreciate)
- Yoroshiku onegaishimasu
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks all 2009/3/27 23:41
Thank you everyone! This has been extremely useful.
by Gracy (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2009/3/28 00:04
It really depends, many times you don't have to say anything, large hotels will always have staff ready to get down to business the second you walk in or walk up to a desk.

Smaller places then any of the above mentioned can go.

I usually don' see people walking into the Hyatt saying sumimasen or any other greeting, its usually the staff that greets you not the other way around.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

what to say 2009/3/28 10:13
-----I usually don' see people walking into the Hyatt saying sumimasen or any other greeting,-----

at the Hyatt? at the International hotels you can just say 'hello' use English or say nothing but I always say hello.

Hello is also well known word in Japan.

example: if you're at the ryokan or predominantly Japanese speaking hotel, if you have a reservation document to present to the desk clerk, you can say 'Hello, onegaishimasu" (hello, please ..)
This way they know you don't speak fluent Japanese, at the same time they appreciate your Japanese word as a friendly gesture. Breaks the ice.

. 2009/3/28 10:50
I guess AK presents the perfect list.

I want to add just one.
- Domo (Hi, Thanks )

. 2009/3/28 14:40
No that is not my point.

If I were to read the original poster's question right, they are asking if there is any cultural items/reasons if one should say anything the when you enter the door (like visiting someone's home) of the hotel.

However what I am saying, in relation to large hotels or even smaller hotels is that, generally you don't say anything, or that staff will be the first to greet you rather then you greeting the staff.

Now going to the reception desk and asking for assistance or introduction and what to say is a different item from asking what to say when you enter the building.

Or at least that's "how I" read the original poster's question.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Just say: 2009/4/13 17:15
"I bring cash"
by Hi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread