Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

teaching demonstration? 2009/3/27 15:24
Hello, I have a 4 year bachelor's degree and I am a native speaker of English. I have a applied for a company to teach English in Japan. No experience is required....and yet now they want me to give a 5 minute teaching demonstration to be considered for a teaching position! I have no problem speaking in front of people - the problem is I don't have a lesson plan. If I knew what to talk about and had an idea where to begin I would be fine. I have never taught before and I wish I had some sort of outline on what I should discuss or how I should go about this. Has anyone here given a teaching demonstration? What topics should one discuss for a teaching demonstration? Are there any helpful websites that would give me an idea on how to give a 5 minute teaching demonstration? Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
by Joseph (guest)  

. 2009/3/28 15:20
The internet is chalk full of information on sample lesson plans, also check out dave's esl cafe for more information and advice.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=11
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

5 minutes?? 2009/3/28 15:38
It would help if you could say what company or type of company/teaching (kids? Business? Conversation School?)

These 5 minute demos are a bit of an EFL joke. It doesn't show much serious intent on the company's part, so I wouldn't take it too seriously yourself.

I don't mean to not prepare and do a good job, mind you, just be aware of what it is and isn't.

It isn't a test of your teaching skill. You can't assess that in 5 minutes.

It is (probably) a test of your personality before a potential class (just to make sure you are not a total dummy), so as a rule focus on being super-friendly, confident, clear, etc. etc.

But, as I said, it depends on the teaching context. Tell us more.
by Tommy (guest) rate this post as useful

Free choice 2009/3/28 15:43
If it's a free choice of topic, explain or 'teach' about something you know about that has a clear structure (beginning, middle, end or whatever).

I once did this, given 10 minutes to think of a topic and did it on the techniques and strategies involved in sabotaging a fox hunt as a Hunt Saboteur. I got the job and the fox escaped...:-)

Just think of the 'teaching' as explaining as enthusiastically (!) as you can about something interesting.
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

teaching demo 2009/3/28 20:16
Thank you all for your responses. To answer Tommy's question:
"it depends on the teaching context. Tell us more. "

The Company, AEON, said the Objective is: "In an interactive and creative manner, teach a lesson focusing on English conversation."

Aeon also wrote, "Most Japanese adults have studied English for at least 6 years in school and have basic reading and writing skills. Your target audience will be made up of other candidates. However, they represent Japanese students who speak and understand English at a beginner level."
by Joseph (guest) rate this post as useful

Umm 2009/3/28 20:51
It sounds like a not-so-serious attempt on the part of the school/company to see you in action - but 5 minutes?? And with other candidates as the pretend "audience"? That means you cannot do the normal, real interactive lesson, meaning trying to see if they understand a certain expression, then showing/explaining it, etc.

Probably they want to just see how you sound/act in front of a class - how you speak (voice level, tone), how you act (smiling, serious?), how you can "show" something through interaction (asking questions and building on the answers rather than explaining one-way to the students) etc. But I thought those are techniques that the school should give new teachers, or otherwise they should be hiring trained teachers.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread