Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese books. 2009/3/29 08:00
Can anyone reccommend any Japanese books to an high beginners level adult Japanese language student. I can read the first 100 basic Kanji but need to read more to improve and consolidate this knowledge, so something with a fairly basic grammar and vocab. but still more of a challenge than a childrens book. Thanks.
by t-boner (guest)  

... 2009/3/29 12:57
http://www.hiraganatimes.com/index-j.html

Maybe something like this? It comes with furigana to help learners with kanji :)
by AK rate this post as useful

japanese books-question AK 2009/4/2 03:06
the link you posted, is this site safe AK? thanks.
by Bo (guest) rate this post as useful

To Bo, 2009/4/2 19:07
To be honest, I used to find the good ol' paper version of the Hiragana Times quite interesting, and found its web version upon looking around on the internet. I must admit I do not have that much extensive experience with this web version. Let me know if you have any reason to believe it's an unsafe site.
by AK rate this post as useful

same qn... 2009/4/5 05:08
hey I have the same qn.. I really wanna read some books to help me get used to the sentence structure and different forms of words. But I've only just finished elementary level (2 more levels to JLPT 4) so basically I need children's books. Can anyone recommend some titles? Any series that I should look out for? oh.. I haven't learnt any Kanji yet but i'm chinese so I can more or less guess meanings and I got the DS Kanji dict so that shouldn't be a problem. right? =P oh well..
by melissa (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese Graded Readers 2009/4/8 07:24
I bought a few sets of ''Japanese Graded Readers'' from White Rabbit Press. They aren't the publisher, but they sell a lot of study material outside of their flashcards. They list it by knowledge level, it's a nice way for it to be organized, it can be really tough to find stuff that is the right level on your own.

In each box are 5 booklets and a CD. Some of the stories are modern, some are Japanese folktales (first set has a fairly simple version of Urashima Tarou, for example), and some sets have western short stories that have been translated into Japanese. The level 1 and 2 sets have furigana for all the kanji, not sure about the higher level stuff.

They're not super cheap at $28 per set, really, but that's not much more than the 2300 yen plus tax listed on the box considering they have to ship them to a warehouse in the US. They are well worth it to me, judging by the fact I have volumes 1-3 of both level 1 and 2. Looks like The Japan Shop carries them, too, but the markup is a bit higher, but that's without comparing shipping rates.
by Mike321 rate this post as useful

in Tokyo 2009/4/8 13:04
Thanks Mike321! I'll be going to Tokyo soon so I'll just try my luck there. =)
by melissa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread