Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What countries practice Confucianism? 2004/6/13 00:47
What countries practice Confucianism?
by Lisa Snellgrove  

... 2004/6/13 08:58
What do you mean with a "country that practices Confucianism"? You mean a country whose official state religion is Confucianism? Or a country where a majority of people practice Confucianism? Or something else.

I am not well informed about the present state of Confucianism, but I believe that Confucius' birtsday is a national holiday in Taiwan, for example.

Also, even though few Japanese know much about Confucius nowadays, his teachings are still very much alive in Japanese society.

By the way, bushido is basically 100% Confusianism. (Of course, I am not saying that bushido is still followed by today's Japanese).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Response to Uji 2004/6/13 09:06
I appreciate your response. I was inquiring to the list of countries that currently practice the religion of Confucianism. I know China, Taiwan, Japan and Vietman do, I was wondering if any more practice it.
by Lisa rate this post as useful

Korea 2004/6/13 16:41
According to my Korean Lonely Planet Guide, Confucianism is practised in Korea as well. I'm a bit surprised that you listed Japan as I have yet to come across anything Confucianism in Japan, but I'm not very well informed, of course ^_^
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Thanks 2004/10/11 06:58
I dont know any other countries but i thank you for posting the ones that you know because it really helped me on my essay for history.
by christopher rate this post as useful

Answer 2005/2/4 11:14
Over five million people woship this in Japan.Because that isthe main religion there.
by Jesse Shafer rate this post as useful

not 100% 2005/2/4 12:12
The major religions in japan are Shinto and Buddhism.

by . rate this post as useful

Confucianism 2005/2/6 19:18
was not a religion but sort of system or moral code which has maintained the Oriental Ancien Regimes in China, Korea, and the Tokugawa shogunate in Japan. There are wonderful wisdoms in Confucianism but sadly it is nearly extinct here due to the Cultural Revolution in China and the advanced capitalism. The politicians who embody this teaching are very few.
by ... rate this post as useful

­ 2008/9/5 04:30
For all of your information, there are followers of the confucian faith in every country around the world.

What you asked was simply a question of ignorance and I am simply the bearer of common knowledge. Please do a bit of research before posting anywhere, moron.
by ­ rate this post as useful

to be or not 2008/9/5 05:26
Isn't Confucianism a PHILOSOPHY i.e a code of ethics, moral conduct etc. rather than a religion? a religion imply a belief in a god,deity whatever (or several gods for that matter) to try to make sense of the whole universe while philosophy try to understand human interactions. Many famous philosophers are religious,some are atheists, others are indifferent about religion.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

something to mull about 2008/9/5 05:31
from Wikipedia:
Confucius (Chinese: ¿×·ò×Ó; pinyin: K¨¯ng F¨±z¨«; Wade-Giles: K'ung-fu-tzu), lit. "Master Kung,"[1] September 28, 551 BC - 479 BC) was a Chinese thinker and social philosopher, whose teachings and philosophy have deeply influenced Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Vietnamese thought and life. His philosophy emphasized personal and governmental morality, correctness of social relationships, justice and sincerity. Although Confucianism is often followed in a religious manner by the Chinese, arguments continue over whether it is a religion. Confucianism lacks an afterlife, its texts express complex and ambivalent views concerning deities, and it is relatively unconcerned with some spiritual matters often considered essential to religious thought, such as the nature of the soul.
by The Wise one rate this post as useful

Thread 2008/9/5 23:43
You guys are answering a thread from four years ago?!
by GGatsby rate this post as useful

olden goodie 2008/9/6 02:17
gatsby: old threads always teach something interesting, that's why they are kept in the archives.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread