Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can some one help clarify this grammar? 2009/4/2 15:21
Hi. I'm trying to translate a question from Japanese to English for a questionnaire, but I simply can't confidently parse the grammar. The sentence is: 北東アジア」とはどの地域・国家を指すと捉えておられるでしょうか

I'm reading this as: "Northeast Asia can most likely be taken as referring to which states and regions?"

Is this correct? Thanks for any help you can offer.
by aagrajag (guest)  

... 2009/4/2 18:11
「北東アジア」とはどの地域・国家を指すと捉えておられるでしょうか

Actually the "respectful" expression is somewhat wrong (if the question is directed at you), but anyway, if I take away the "respectful" expression, it will come down to:

「北東アジア」とは どの 地域・国家を 指すと とらえて いますか

- Which regions/states do you consider to be referred to as "northeast Asia"?
- Which regions/states do you define as "northeast Asia"?
- When you use the phrase "northeast Asia," which regions/states do you understand that to be?
by AK rate this post as useful

grammer error 2009/4/2 18:19
There is something wrong with the grammer structure in your sentence.

北東アジア」とはどの地域・国家を指すと捉えておられるでしょうか

Based on your interpretation, i think [北東アジアはどの地域、国家か捉えられるでしょうか。] would be most appropriate.Correct me if i'm wrong.
by clems rate this post as useful

The sentence... 2009/4/2 18:44
The sentence was written by a native Japanese. That's why I'm hesitant to dismiss the structure as incorrect, since it's more likely that I'm simply failing to perceive something.

That said, it's good to know that I'm wasn't significantly off the mark. Thank for the help.
by aagrajag (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/2 18:57
clems,

Nothing is wrong with the grammar/structure of the sentence given; the only part I mentioned as somewhat strange use of respectful expression was "orareru," but actually this usage is common among Japanese. Your revised sentence says "Can you grasp/identify which regions/states are northeast Asia?" which is different from the intended meaning that I can read from the original sentence.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread