Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Language School 2009/4/3 10:58
I'm currently 17, and I'm looking to enter college and I've been interested in living in Japan for a while now but figure going the logical route. Spend some time there while still learning.

I was wondering, what are the usual requirements for a Language School... and how would a student staying there for those reasons get the visa.

Also how would receiving money from international sources work?

Another question is what are some reliable and trusted Language Schools?.
by Zeleii  

some info 2009/4/3 15:06
You can apply for student visa but only if Your school is 6 month or longer. Do this before come to Japan. You can work maximum 4 hours a day with student visa. Have in mind for 3 months courses You donft need visa at all. With application You have to submit all other documents such as your work history (proofs of payments, end of the year tax statements), education history, bank account statement. Minimum amount in bank should be 1.800.000 yen per year( even If You go there for 6 months course You have to proof that You can survive there for 1 year, it is strange but true). Without this Your application can be rejected. I was told that having 2.000.000yen should do the job perfectly. If You donft have that money You can find a sponsor. Person who is going to pay for all Your trip. Sponsor can be only a person related (according to papers from my school). With application You should send document proofing relation with this person.
Hope I say all correct but I have all this information from school I am starting in autumn.
by nfs (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/4/3 15:24
Answered just about all my questions. Still all that remains is which Language Schools people would recommend
by Zeleii rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/3 16:59
You can work maximum 4 hours a day with student visa.

Be aware that you can't work immediately upon entering on a student visa. You have to apply for permission with the school and with immigration after you have been in school a little while. Also you can't expect to support yourself while going to school with a part time job. You are limited to something like 20 hours per week, which at 800 yen an hour may not be enough to cover all of your expenses.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/3 17:07
Have in mind for 3 months courses You donft need visa at all.

This is valid only if the student comes from a country with visa-waiver program with Japan (including US), and you will be on Temporary Visitor Visa. On this type, no paid work is allowed, so be sure you have sufficient money to begin with.

I think the requirement for being accepted into a language school is that you have graduated from high school, and that you have the money to pay the tuition. The requirements for applying for a student visa (or actually pre-college visa, I think, for language schools vs. college/university) are as outlined by nfs.

For school recommendations, search this forum with "language school," and you will be able to read other people's comments about different schools.

For searching, try:
http://www.nisshinkyo.org/

(Hit "English" at the upperleft corner, and look up school by area.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Ok so let me get this straight 2009/4/4 06:31
Ok, so I'm what gathering... I will need to prove I can survive for a year and 2,000,000 yen would be enough to prove I could survive for a year.

I could cover tuition costs definitely... so I will definitely go to an embassy to see how this all works. I'll be discussing with my Parents which school would be an acceptable choice and accepting money from international sources is completely fine, correct?
by Zeleii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread