Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

good book for serious Kanji study? 2009/4/6 03:40
I've been studying Japanese for some time now, but I've really been avoiding learning the kanji.

I'm looking for a good self-study workbook that describes the meanings, the sounds and the words that each kanji forms.

I can already read kana, and have a basic grasp at the language, but i only know the basic kanji that you are forced to learn getting around in japan.

Thanks ahead of time,
Rob
by Rob (guest)  

. 2009/4/7 07:38
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2009/4/8 09:52
I'm surprised you haven't gotten more responses. Maybe it's because learning kanji through self-study is such an individual process and each person adapts the available materials to his or her own learning style.

The one book that I found most useful for learning the Joyo kanji is the Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary. I really love this book. It is not a workbook per se, just a reference book. But I found that the type of information in it was a perfect backbone for my own personal system of learning kanji. (I never cared much for the unique indexing method that it uses, but this never got in my way, either.)

I think you basically have to develop your own systematic approach, using multiple resources including flash cards, and then stick to it doggedly without giving up. Good luck to you!
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/8 13:39
I only have some reference books to recommend, which I've mentioned on this thread:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+6...

I agree with Uma that learning kanji is the individual's efforts... I do not know of any good workbook.
by AK rate this post as useful

best advice 2009/5/28 00:33
although this thread is old, i'll have to recommend to anyone looking for a fun and easy way, to try playing the games Slime Forest Adventure, and then Knuckles in China Land, in that order. The former will teach core meanings alone (up to 2000 kanji), and the latter will reinforce meanings (often with a differing keyword, which helps get a better grasp on the kanji character than just one), and it will also teach both kun and on-yomi readings. Knuckles apparently can teach up to 6000 kanji! (not necessary for most, but at least the first 1000 are ordered in terms of how commonly they are used.

As for an alternative, try Heisig's ''Remembering the Kanji'', which also uses the first-meaning-then-readings approach.

From there I would recommend studying kanji compounds while building vocabulary and grammar (using furigana wherever possible).

For integrating with spoken Japanese, I recommend all three levels of Rosetta Stone using strictly kanji or furigana modes.
by desu (guest) rate this post as useful

well..... 2009/5/30 06:06
This is an old(er) topic, but anyways...

I'm using Remembering the Kanji. It's really good for learning the kanji.

Check out alljapaneseallthetime.com because his methods are really good (and real). I have Rosetta Stone, the DS games, Genki Book 1, and a few other Japanese self learning books, but I like Remembering the Kanji the best.
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

RTK 2009/5/30 13:06
I, too, am using Remembering the Kanji by James Heisig. I'm maybe a week and a half into it and have learned about 165 kanji.

Peruse the site: http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/ too. That's where I got started. Take a look at Reviewing the Kanji website, also.http://kanji.koohii.com
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread