Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Take-outs in Tokyo 2009/4/6 23:59
Hi,

I am currently in Tokyo and would like to try some of the local fast-food joints such as Yoshinoya, Matsuya and MOS Burger for a change.

Do they offer take-outs? Also would it be considered rude to carry such take-outs on trains and cabs?

I undertand that it is considered rude to eat while walking so I am thinking of eating them back in my apartment.
by Priscilla (guest)  

. 2009/4/7 15:55
Don't know about Yoshinoya since I'm a Matsuya guy, but I assume its the same as Matsuya.

At Matsuya there's a specific TAKE OUT window (most of the places have it written as TAKE OUT) so you give your order ticket at the take out window/spot and they package it up for you to go.

I would assume Yoshinoya being a competitor offers the same service.

At Mos burger you can ask for take out and they will bag it up and you can take it out.

There's usually a matsuya or yoshinoya in every neighborhood or near one, but if there isn't one near your home, I don't see any major problem since the items don't give off a strong sent when still packaged and wrapped in a bag.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2009/4/7 17:56
Yoshinoya has a specific order counter for take out in the shop.

If you oder somthing there, it automatically takes out.

by fassaeco rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/7 18:01
Burgers do give strong smell, and Matsuya or Yoshinoya "gyudon" beef bowls are somewhat soupy, so I would not really recommend taking them on trains/cabs, though I have seen people carrying burgers on trains.

These types of food is mostly "neighborhood" stuff, where you take out something and at most walk home with it and eat pretty much immediately. Enjoy! :)
by AK rate this post as useful

no problem 2009/4/7 18:34
Taking out is no problem at any of these shops.

At Yoshinoya or Matsuya you might be puzzled at first, because usually there's no one at the counter. But just stand there for a while or call out "sumimasen" without taking a seat, and the person in the kitchen will come to you assuming you want to take out. As you leave, don't forget to pick up the toppings that are available at the counter.

Mind you though, they're all not that "fast" including Mos. At Mos, I read the (Japanese) newspapers they have there while waiting.

Their take-out foods all come with lids (just as McDonald's coke does) and they'll put them in a plastic bag, so carrying it around is not much of a problem. Unfortunately, there is none of these shops within waking distance from my home, so I can understand that you need to take them on a train or bus. But of course, you are free to eat at the seats they have in the shops.

Bon appetite!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/4/7 20:52
Thanks everyone for the replies.

My apartment is located in minami-aoyama. Can I ask if there's any Yoshinoya, Matsuya or MOS Burger around the area?
by Priscilla (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/7 21:56
Minami aoyama is rather a large area, it would take more than 20 min to walk from one end to another...
If you can specify which "chome" you are, we can give you more specific info.

There's one Yoshinoya in Aoyama 1-chome (not far from Aoyama Icchome Station of Tokyo Metro/Ginza line) along the Route 246.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread