Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gion Matsuri - reserved seats 2009/4/9 03:03
Does soembody know where (tel.nr. or website) can we reserve/buy seats for the Yamahoko-Junko (Grand Parade) of the Gion
Matsuri on 17 July 2009. We prefer the paid seating opposite the Kyoto City Hall on the corner of Kawaramachi-dori and Oike-dori, as described on this website:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3942.html

Thank you very much,
Issac

by Issac (guest)  

Hurry! 2009/6/5 06:13
Hi Isaac,
I will be there this year, as well. The number to call is 075-343-6655. A couple of things to note:

1. They started selling tickets on June 2nd, and when I called I was told that they sell out pretty quickly.

2. Assuming that you are not already in Japan, it's cash only! I was able to use the service that booked my hotel to get the ticket for me.

Good luck!
by aurora (guest) rate this post as useful

not thrilled about the seating 2009/6/5 07:32
There were plenty of unused seats when I went there two years ago. I guess that either they were not sold out or they were held by the government and/or travel agents that failed to distribute them all.

Note also that the seats are not inclined. If you sit in a row in the back, you will have many heads in front of you. Inside the designated box of seats, seats went on a first come first serve basis. So, if you want to sit in the first row, go early.

I was not thrilled by the reserved seating, although, it provided us with some good views. It was cramped and the sun was burning down onto us with full power. So, half way through we left our seats and were just walking according to our wishes along the streets, where we had ample of opportunities to get just as good views of the procession, if not better ones.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread