Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

decaf, sweeteners, vegetables 2009/4/15 15:20
Almost leaving for Japan now... So almost packing! I was wondering:

1. do I have to bring all the sweeteners I use in 2 weeks, or will I be able to buy it easily in Japan? Is it Canderel or another branch? So how do I recognize it, how do I ask for it, what is sweetener in Romaji?

2. Will it be easy to get decafeinated coffee in cafe's restaurants? (How to ask..)

3. Will it be easy to get instand decaf in shops (How to ask..)

4. I am used to eat tons of vegetables, non cooked (salads) and cooked.. What could I order to get still soms amount of that in Japan?

5. Please no comments on my habits... :-)

Thanks in advance!
by Jantje  

... 2009/4/15 19:55
1. In Japan a popular product is sold under the name of "Pal Sweet" (pronounced like Paru Suiito). I don't know if every coffee shop in town stocks some on their tables, but if you want to buy some at a supermarket, I'm sure you can get some in Japan too. "Artificial sweetener" is "jinkou kanmiryou," if you ever need to ask.

2. Decaffenated coffee is not that widely available at coffee shops in Japan, maybe except for Starbuck's. Ask for "dikyafu" (decaf) or "kafein-resu" (cafeine-free, which we tend to say "caffeine-less").

3. At supermarkets, ask for "kafein-resu insutanto koohii" (caffeine-free instant coffee).

4. We have salads served in restaurants :)

5. OK :)
by AK rate this post as useful

De-Caf Coffee Option 2009/4/15 20:12
Many hotel rooms have a hot water kettle/thermos, cups and tea. You can buy 'Mon Cafe' in convenience shops - individual drip coffee, they have a decaf. It's our favorite brand and inexpensive per cup.
by MyCat (guest) rate this post as useful

Veggies 2009/4/15 20:55
Whenever I've been in restaurants and ordered a meal, the meal has always been about 1/3 veggies.

You can try gobo salad (yummy), vegetarian niku jyaga (made with meat, but lots of root vegetables), regular garden salad, or maki (rice + vegetables + seaweed/nori, rolled) with just vegetables.

Supermarkets have packaged cooked and perhaps uncooked vegetables, I had no problem finding those when I was there.
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

Artificial Sweetener and Veggies 2009/4/16 01:05
I recommend bringing artificial sweetener with you since it takes up such little space. It's not that you can't get it in Japan, but it isn't as common as you might think, especially if you have a type that you particularly like. You really don't want to be spending your precious travel time trying to find some product like that. Just tuck a bunch of packets in your suitcase and you won't have to worry about it.

As far as veggies go, I sometimes find that I just don't get enough in Japanese restaurants over there. (I know what you mean by "tons", and I think you have to go out of your way to get that much.) To supplement restaurant fare I sometimes buy packaged "o-sozai" (various side dishes) and pickles in supermarkets or in a pinch in department store food basements (where they tend to be lovely but expensive). These I eat in the hotel room in the evening or morning. Also, I buy whole carrots, tomatoes, and fruits.

If you want to eat tons of veggies in a restaurant, try one of the Japanese-style health food buffet restaurants that have become popular in recent years. For example, No no Budo in Tokyo:
http://www.bento.com/rev/2452.html

Or look for a salad bar or some other buffet restaurant that has a fair amount of vegetable offerings.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

happy 2009/4/16 19:43
Hello everybody, I get so happy of all these advices. It's so sweet! Thank you!
Yes i will bring my sweeteners, but it's nice to know how to find them there and I take all your advices for how to find decaf and veggies!
Thanks again!
by Jantje rate this post as useful

reply to this thread