Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji Market 2009/4/20 02:57
Hi,

Whilst in Tokyo, I'd be interested in going to Tsukiji Market to see the fish there. I read somewhere that to avoid interfering with/annoying the people doing business there, tourists should aim for something like 9am. As most of the action happens earlier, would it still be worthwhile going there at this time and do the vendors mind people taken photos of their fish?

Thanks.
by Staffy  

Tsukiji 2009/4/20 08:02
We went there between 8 and 9 and you should let the business just run, not disturb.

For taking photos it is recommended to ask the vendors.
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/20 08:03
Flash photography is not allowed as it can interfere with the hand signals they use. If you got at 9am it would be to just see the market itself. The auction is over by then I believe.

So if you want to see the actually fish auction you have to be there at around 5am I believe. As long as you don
't get in their way or interfere shouldn't be a problem.
by Ohyesuare rate this post as useful

9am 2009/4/20 09:54
we were there 2 weeks ago at around 9am: it was fantastic: we were also there last year at the same time. There is SO much to see in the market area we were still wandering around at 11am when we had a fabulous "brunch" in one of the many restaurants in the outer market area. We were VERY careful to watch where we were walking so as not to interfere with the scooters, and asked every stall holder about photos of THEM, but not if we were only photoing the produce. Family resident in Tokyo are adamant that we should not attend the auctions, and quite frankly on holidays we didn't feel like getting there so early anyway.
by fmj rate this post as useful

So, 9am would be OK? 2009/4/20 19:28
Thanks for your replies. 5am is too early for me so I guess I'll have to miss the auction :-D

As long as there are fish to see at 9am I'm happy to go at this time. So by 9am, even though the auction would have finished, the market itself is not half closed and is still quite lively?

Would taking flash photography be OK at this time as the auction would have finished? ie is the hand signals used only at the auction?

fmj, I understand that its courteous to ask for permission when photographing the stall holders but were they OK for you NOT to ask when photographing just the fish? I don't want to upset anyone!

Thanks.
by Staffy rate this post as useful

absolutely fine 2009/4/20 20:01
Would taking flash photography be OK at this time as the auction would have finished? ie is the hand signals used only at the auction?

fmj, I understand that its courteous to ask for permission when photographing the stall holders but were they OK for you NOT to ask when photographing just the fish? I don't want to upset anyone!

At this time you are nowhere near the auctions: it is purely lots of stalls with a huge range of sea creatures in tubs: we took loads of photos, on "museum" setting [in the "scene" settings on a digital camera]: so no flash needed: your empathy sounds fine so I'm sure you will be OK

Thanks 2009/4/20 21:24
Thanks for that, fmj. The stalls of fish are what I would be interested in seeing so I'm looking forward to it! And if you managed to take lots of photos it sounds like the people who work there are pretty cool with it.

9 am is too late 2009/4/20 23:36
If you've gone at 9 am, you might think that you saw a lot of activity, but it's nothing like getting there a little after dawn. I recommend you get there as early as possible: 5.30 or 6.00. It is completely crazy with all the activity; you'll never see anything like it!
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

what about food? 2009/4/20 23:55
how much will it cost to have a sashimi in the market?

I am intentending to go tomorrow morning..i try to get up around 5am, be there around 6am.
by Doron rate this post as useful

market 2009/4/21 03:43
I would try to get there as early as possible. The market is very interesting and you just need to watch out for scooters and bicycles. Also, the best part is eating the freshest sushi and drinking Asahi superdry beer early in the morning. Check out the tiny little sushi bars right on the outskirts of the market.
by patti san rate this post as useful

But 9am is still OK, right? 2009/4/21 06:12
As long as the market isn't dead at 9am I think I'll be happy with this as 5-6am would be too early for me. I wouldn't be able to go through the rest of the day without feeling rough and I don't have too much time in Tokyo. Its a shame as early morning sounds really interesting.

sushi 2009/4/21 06:15
... and eating fresh sushi sounds brilliant to me!! Any particular place to go for or are they much the same?

had to be time practical 2009/4/21 06:43
We have been to Tsukiji twice now, and had limited time each time, so had to avoid the long queues at the more popular places. Family resident in Tokyo told us the ones with long queues were less expensive, but all restaurants were good : we just gritted our teeth and paid more: each time we shared a "set" and paid 2600Y for 2 in 2008, and 3350 Y for 3 this year...don't care if this was more than at other places, as both times it was amazing.

. 2009/4/22 06:30
Thanks, fmj. It sounds like it would be worth looking around first before deciding where to eat if there are variation in prices. I'm sure the prices would still be cheaper than what I pay here (I hope)! If the sets are a good size and satisfies an appetite then it doesn't sound too bad.

very full!!! 2009/4/22 16:47
Hi Staffy for 3350Y (ie 1100+ each) we had 2 platters of sushi, with plenty to share, a bowl of miso soup each, cup of tea each, and 3 little bowls of tsukemono pickles: it was great. I hope you have a great time. We didn't have to wait.....the lines at the others were not moving anywhere fast....

Nice. 2009/4/23 04:08
Thanks again, fmj. If I'm seeing long queues that aren't moving fast, I'll do what you've done and pay more as we'll also have to consider the time we've got in Tokyo. I want to eat at the market as it sounds like a good place to eat sushi :-)

reply to this thread