Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling first two weeks of June 2009/4/20 23:42
I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and while I'm completely ambulatory, heat can be bad for me. I know what to do except for wearing shoes. If it's rainy season, I want waterproof lace-up walking shoes. But if it's humid, my feet may get too hot and they need to stay cool to help the rest of my body stay cool. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.
by rsquinn14  

! 2009/4/21 07:27
I don't know how much of a mobility impairment you have, but if you can carry and umbrella while walking, you should be ok--as long as you don't step in any puddles. I have a spinal cord injury and walk with a cane, so I move slowly and a little staggered, but with an umbrella, in sneakers, even during rainy season in Tokyo, my feet stayed dry. I also have problems with body temp, so my advice-it will be warm/hot--don't wear a jacket trying to stay dry, it will just trap the humidity in and keep you hot. I found that with short sleeves and a moisture-wicking t-shirt I was fine (even at night)
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

choice 2009/4/21 08:11
It looks like you will have to make a choice- dry feet or cool feet, which is more important to you? I myself usually go for cool feet, so I wear walking shoes which will breathe. It is easy enough to bring along a change of socks and a towel to dry your feet if necessary.

Also be aware that Japan's rainy season isn't a full-blown monsoon like in many Asian countries- what it tends to be is mainly overcast and drizzle, although there can be some harder rain occasionally.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

early June=not so rainy 2009/4/21 08:12
I should add that especially in early rainy season the rain tends not to be heavy. It will only be starting up really when you are leaving Japan.

Be aware... 2009/4/21 08:49
...that Japan in June is very humid. For me personally unbearably so that I will never go there again around that time of year. If humidity is a problem for you I suggest a different time to visit.
by RodW (guest) rate this post as useful

Not that bad... 2009/4/21 08:52
In early June, RodW? I think it's quite a pleasant time of the year, actually, the temp is usually in the mid 20s and there can still be some cool days. It doesn't get really humid until some time in July. I recommend avoiding early July to early September in Japan, but most people find early June pretty comfortable.

Thanks for the help! 2009/4/21 08:54
Thanks to you both--I'm lucky enough to not have any mobility issues but the heat can cause an 8 hour day to shrink to a 4 hour day if I'm not careful. I think I'll go with cool, wet feet--at least I'll be on the go!
by rsquinn14 rate this post as useful

bus tours 2009/4/21 10:50
If humidity is a problem for you I suggest a different time to visit.
I totally agree: nothing would persuade me to travel in summer: we had days of only 25C and low humidity in early April and nearly expired: the soles of my feet in cotton-rich socks and Nike breathable fabric shoes absolutely burned: very different experience to our trip last year in mid-March. The distances you walk can be fairly extensive, transport is crowded, even off-peak, so seats are not always possible (inappropriate occupants of the Priority Seats were asleep and did not give them up). If you do have to go in June I would suggest a number of organised bus tours so you don't have to walk so far.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Humidity 2009/4/21 16:36
Central Japan starts getting very humid around Mid June but in other parts of Japan it is very nice.
It really depends where you are going but I would not worry too much about it
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

April, hot? ;-) 2009/4/21 17:59
fmj, I thought the weather earlier this month was lovely- I was walking al, over Kyoto and Tokyo with my mother (wearing sneakers) and it was just beautiful. I suppose because I'm used to the summers here, April is so very mild in comparison- for burning feet try wearing closed-in work shoes in August in Tokyo on a 38 degree day! I usually commute in jandals...

But where 2009/4/21 18:21
Sira the original question was not location specific. I err on the side of caution when giving an answer to a non specific question. Having been down south around that time I have found it to be most disagreeable. No doubt Hokkaido would be very pleasant by comparison.
by RodW rate this post as useful

.. 2009/4/21 21:50
April is so very mild in comparison Agreed Sira but actually don't need the comparison: 46C in Melbourne recently beats it all: weather WAS great, no rain, pleasant early AM and later PM, but was hot when walking extensive distances and in crowded transport: for someone with MS who is temperature sensitive and attempting 8 hour days the advice stands
by fmj rate this post as useful

Location is important 2009/4/21 22:23
"the original question was not location specific"

This is true, RodW. Perhaps rsquinn14 could let us know which part of Japan he/she intends to travel in, as it makes so much difference. Usually it's a fair assumption that it's the usual Tokyo/Kyoto and maybe Hiroshima route, and it's not super hot in early June in any of those areas. If it were a major issue I imagine rsquinn14 would not travel in early summer.

To fmj- I bet you anything 38 degrees with 98 percent humidity is more uncomfortable than 46 degrees and dry- the Aussies certainly complain plenty in summer here! Glad the cherry blossoms waited for you- my mum was very happy since they were in full bloom everywhere we went :-)

Perth 2009/4/21 22:43
I am from Perth in Western Australia and let me say that even 30 degree days with high humidity are far worse than 42degree days we have in summer in Perth.
Australia is lucky to have such a pleasant dry heat :)
by Perth (guest) rate this post as useful

More info about me... 2009/4/21 23:50
First, thanks to everybody for your input. My name is Becca and I booked this trip in June as the fare was lower right after peak. I'm going from Tokyo-3 nights to Hiroshima-2 nights to Kyoto-6 nights, Hakone-1 night, and back to Tokyo-1 night. I'm from San Francisoc where 80 F. is hot to me! Money is such that I can't do the travel buses but I'm a trooper and will rest when I need to. I also have cooling devices I can wear. Is ice easily available? that will help also.

I don't know about ice, but.... 2009/4/22 00:20
Nearly everywhere in Japan has air conditioning. I've never had the need or desire to buy ice in all the time I've been in Japan, so can't help with that. Sometimes just a stroll through a convenience store next to the drinks or ice cream area was a nice cool-down for me.
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

Ice in Japan 2009/4/22 02:14
Thanks K. It's outside that I'm concerned about. Actually, I would carry a small insualated pack with ice to soak my cooling devices in. If ice is readily available at a convenience store, that might be my best option.

Hmmm 2009/4/22 02:55
Perhaps try taking a few breaks during the day. head to a district, check things out, and when you start to feel that you need a break head back to your hotel and rest. My husband and I tended to do this anyways, and were there for the late part of June. In the 2 weeks that we were there I think that there was only 3 actual rainy days, and maybe 3 that were very light rainy days that no one really bothered with umbrellas. Most places are air conditioned too. I also found it very helpful to have a messanger style bag with my to carry various things. Perhaps slip a pair of shoes in there to change them if you need. Just in case! Hope some of this helps!
by Nika (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread