Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to see sunrise in Tokyo 2009/4/21 22:43
Hey all!

Tomorrow is my last day in Japan and I still haven't done all things I wanted. I need your opinion on:

- what's the best place to see the sunrise in Tokyo
- where I can find a secluded sandy beach area near Tokyo (to see the ocean)

Any tips and info will be very helpful. Also, I would appreciate suggestions for good shopping places to buy souveniers to take home. Something inexpensive preferably :)

Thanks!
by Satvic (guest)  

Maybe too early for choice 2009/4/22 08:22
You will be getting up very early if you want to see the sunrise, possibly at a time when public transport is not running, so it may be a case of where you can get to on foot or by bicycle. I just checked and sunrise is currently at 5am, getting a minute or two earlier every day.

The coat of Tokyo is largely obstructed by buildings, reclamations, port infrastructure etc, so you really have to go up to somewhere in Chiba like Choshi to see a decent sunrise.

A secluded beach near Tokyo- they are all well developed I am afraid. You could try Onjuku in Chiba or one of the Shonan beaches like Enoshima or Yuigahama- at least there won't be too many people there at this time of the year, but I don't think the ocean looks particularly impressive at any of those places, particularly the Shonan becahes where the sand is fine and grey and tends to affect the colour of the water.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Beaches 2009/4/22 10:53
Did you go sightseeing at Kamakura? If not it is less than an hour from Tokyo and has a large white sandy beach.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3109.html
by Steve (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/22 11:54
Kamakura beach, white sand? Probably "beige-grey" would be closer.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread