Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can a man become a miko? 2009/4/21 23:52
Hello I've another question about Shinto (I hope it sound enough clear despite my English)
Sometimes in the temples I've seen men with light-blue orlight-green hakama. Are they a sort of "miko"?
(obviously I don't know if miko is a right term for a male assistant of a priest
seeing that miko are usually women)
Thanks for the help
by Anne (guest)  

. 2009/4/22 13:51
Man does not becoma a "Miko".

The men with light-blue orlight-green hakama you saw are the lower level "Kannushi" staffs.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Maiko? 2009/4/22 19:43
do you mean a Maiko?
which is the apprentice to a Geisha...sure in theatre
by Mika (guest) rate this post as useful

miko are different to maiko 2009/4/22 19:47
Mika, the miko are "shrine maidens" and work at Shinto shrines doing various duties. No relation at all to maiko, the apprentice geisha.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Kannushi and miko 2009/4/23 22:16
By the way, sometimes you can see women wearing light-blue hakama (or other colours depending on their rank) in shrines, and just like men, they are also not miko (shrine maidens) but kannnushi (Shinto priests).
by shimaki (guest) rate this post as useful

female kannushi 2009/4/23 22:34
Years ago I used to teach English to a really nice lady in her 50s who was kannushi of a shrine in Kamakura. I've always wished I could have seen her dressed as a kannushi- she wore ordinary clothes to classes of course!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks again! 2009/5/1 07:54
Thanks so much for all the replies. the first specially was very useful :)
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

I'm a Miko 2009/5/1 10:15
haha.. No lying!

美子 :-p (my name)
by UreshiiMiko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread