Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tattoos in Osaka 2009/4/23 01:29
Okay, I know that this question has been asked before, but it's been mainly asked by non-Asians. As a Chinese guy with a half-arm sleeve done in an Oriental style on one arm and another Oriental-styled tattoo on the other arm, will I be facing problems when I am in Japan? Also i have a lip piercing and multiple ear piercings. Should i just cover up just to be safe?
by Cameron (guest)  

tattoos 2009/4/23 18:43
Tattoos, a ring around the arm, were used to brand criminals in Japan about 250 years ago. Since then, they have been proudly worn by yakuza. Tattoos covering the whole body, particularly dragons or other asian designs will look very much yakuza to many people if you are asian (if you are foreign looking, people will likely just consider it fashion). If you like to wear matching colored athletic suits, you will doubly look like a chinpira (street thug).

Nobody will pay much attention to your piercings.

by Inago (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread