Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

10 Day Booking of Hotel Only in Tokyo? 2009/4/25 22:37
Or should I book a hotel in multiple cities? I tried to budget my trip and it comes out cheaper (hotel wise) to just stay in Tokyo. But I don't know how realistic it is, since I have never been there, to travel around and come back to the hotel every night for the next 10 days. Can someone help please!
by im round  

... 2009/4/26 10:45
Which other cities are you planning to visit?
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/26 12:50
For a first timer to Japan, I recommend splitting your time between Tokyo area and Kyoto/Osaka area (of course unless you have some interests in cities other than regular tourist go to).

Tokyo: See Tokyo itself, and can do day trips to Yokohama, Kamakura, Nikko, etc.
Kyoto: See Kyoto itself, can do day trips to Osaka, Nara, Himeji, Kobe, and even Hiroshima if you want to.

But you cannot cover all of the above if you base yourself completely in Tokyo for the whole 10 days. Check the "suggested itinerary" under ths Travel section of this website for some ideas.
by AK rate this post as useful

RE: 2009/4/27 01:08
i'm planning on staying in tokyo and kyoto ..I'm assuming 10 days is a good amount of time for both. i am booking this trip through expedia all the other sites are with tours and I kind of just want to give it a go on my own first.

Also, looking at the JR rail passes. So I read that I have to get it where I live and then activate it once I get to Japan? I'm assuming the 14 day pass is the one I want since I'll pretty much be getting from place to place via train?

I really wasn't kidding when I said clueless. ha. But it's a late sept. trip so I have time to do research. Thank you for your help...
by im round rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/27 04:03
If you are planning to spend at least one or two days in just Tokyo, and you're trip is only 10 days just get a 7 day pass and activate it before you leave Tokyo.
by Ohyesuare rate this post as useful

Check carefully whether it's worth it 2009/4/27 08:26
You will have to do quite a number of long hops by express train or Shinkansen to make a 14 day pass worthwhile. For travelling within cities like Tokyo or Kyoto, it is far far cheaper to just pay the single fares, which are actually not that expensive. A 7 day pass will just pay for itself if you use it for Narita-Tokyo and than Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo, plus a bit of travel inside the city. If you bought a 14 day pass and had that kind of itinerary, you would have wasted a considerable amount of money.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread