Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best time to visit different regions? 2009/4/26 23:43
Hey I am hoping to go on a gap year around Japan next year and i was wondering when is the best time to visit each region/prefecture? What i mean by this is like most beutiful time, weather, least ammount of tourists, which are the best festivals to catch etc. I know quite a lot but not sure how to balance out to be able to see whole country over the year, because most people recommend around spring and autumn for most places. I will probably be going may/june to following time the next year.
by greeny1  

... 2009/4/27 08:44
Basics are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

My personal recommendations are:

Hokkaido:
- first half of July before the school holidays start and for relatively pleasant weather
- February for the most snow

Okinawa:
- late June for the best weather of the year and relatively few crowds

Countryside of Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu:
- May (after the Golden Week) for pleasant weather, beautiful vegetation and few crowds
- October/November for autun leaves; but popular autumn leaf spots are crowded

Cities of Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu:
- March through May and October to mid December for pleasant temperatures
by Uji rate this post as useful

Travelling in Japan 2009/4/27 09:17
Remember that the best times to visit each region weather-wise and event-wise will obviously coincide with the arrival of the most tourists (mostly Japanese tourists). You can't have it both ways!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread