Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

counseling job in Japan 2009/5/2 15:44
HI,
I grauated from University of South Australia of Master of Social Socience in Counseling and Hong Kong Polytechnic university of Master in Social Worker. I also am the Qualified Counselor member of Australia Counseling Aossociation.
How could I get a counsleing job in Japan?
by Lam (guest)  

How is your Japanese? 2009/5/3 08:23
If you don't speak very fluent Japanese, then it's not very likely you will be able to get a paid counselling job. There is only a tiny minority of English-speaking foreigners in Japan, and to be able to work as a counsellor you would need to be registered in Japan, which would require sitting exams in Japanese.

There is an organisation called Tokyo English LIfe Line which provides counselling services to the English-speaking community, but they are all volunteers.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Ask organizations 2009/5/3 17:37
Lam, why not Google "English counseling" and inquire directly to whatever organization you may find. For example, from the Google list I found this.
http://tokyocounseling.com/

Among their counsellors are two Caucasians, and it says that "Our Psychotherapists are qualified and registered by The Japan Federation for Psychotherapy" which may give you a clue.

Btw, I've never noticed any Japanese people seeing foreign counsellors in Japan. I assume that the foreign counsellors usually work with expat patients. If you speak any other languages fluently, you might want to Google in that language so that you can find information aimed for expats who speak that language.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Mental health counselors in Japan 2009/5/16 23:15
You can also get clear information on how become a qualified JSCCP Clinical Psychologist in Japan at this link:

http://www.counselingjapan.com/eng/qualifications.php

and information on the qualification for psychotherapists Japan Federation for Psychotherapy at this link:

http://www.counselingjapan.com/eng/cs_tokyo_japan_ml200...

Also with respect to the previous poster, it is not true to assume that non-Japanese counselors do not work with Japanese people in Japanese. Read though Tokyo Counseling Services website carefully and you will see that they are qualified in Japan and do not just work with expatriates but also with Japanese people in Japanese too. Japan is a multicultural society in the 21st century and will increasing become so more and more.

by Eiji (guest) rate this post as useful

Eiji 2009/5/17 01:11
I certainly do not "assume that non-Japanese counselors do not work with Japanese people in Japanese." In fact, I know for sure they do. I just said I've never noticed any actual person seeing them, and therefore I assumed that the majority of their patients would be expats or the like.

具体的にそういう患者を知らないというだけです。「診ない」とは全く思っていません。

Just thought I'd add.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread