Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

can you translate mesage to my daughter? 2009/5/3 03:07
Hi. I would like to surprise my daughter with a line in Japanese since she is learning it (and I know nothing!) She is 14 years old. Can you translate the following? I want to put it in a note or a card. THANK YOU!

"Hi Beautiful One! I want you to know that your dad and I love you very very much and are so proud of you, just the way you are. Remember, your heavenly Father God loves you even more.

-- mom and dad"

by alexa (guest)  

Here is my version. 2009/5/3 10:39
Konnichi wa, musume-chan. Bokutachi wa, omae ga sono mama demo aijou wo komete yoku hokotte oru, omae ni. Sa, kamisama no aijou no hou ga fukakute oboenasai ne.

Otousan & okaasan yori

Hi, dear daughter. We love you and are very proud of you, just as you are. And remember that God's love is more profound.

From Mom & Dad

Well, I've been learning Japanese for over 5 years and this is the best I can manage at the moment ^^; Anyone out there is more than welcome to correct me and add their translations.
by Ippatsu (guest) rate this post as useful

P.S. 2009/5/3 10:40
And for details on Japanese grammar, go here.

http://guidetojapanese.org
by Same guy as before (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/3 11:38
Ippatsu,

Allow me to correct your grammar.

- Konnichi wa, musume-chan.
"Konnichiwa" suggests a bit of distance, so it's OK if these sentences are to be used on a letter, but not for a bedside note, for example.
Rather than "musume-chan," I would suggest using the "[name]-chan."

-Bokutachi wa, omae ga sono mama demo aijou wo komete yoku hokotte oru, omae ni.
"Bokutachi" suggests that the writer is a male! I would suggest "watashi-tachi" (neutral) instead for "we."
I would not use "omae," again it sounds too mannish. The "hokotte oru" should be "hokori ni shite iru." "omae ni" is in a completely wrong position.

- Sa, kamisama no aijou no hou ga fukakute oboenasai ne.
It sounds like a very strict order... Also the last part should be "fukai koto wo oboete oite kudasai."
The subject for "fukakute" (deep) is God's love, and the subject for "oboenasai" is the daughter, so you cannot string up those two like "fukakute oboenasai."

My suggestion for the whole thing (with a different tone) would be:

Yaa, {name}-chan
Papa mo mama mo, sonomama no anata wo totemo aishite ite, hokori ni omotte imasu.
Kami-sama no ai niwa makeru keredo.

Mama to papa yori.

Hi, dear {name}.
Dad ad Mom love you very much and are proud of the way you are.
(Our love) is less than God's love, though.
From Mom and dad.
by AK rate this post as useful

hi :D 2009/5/9 06:25
I just wanted to say that you're awesome parents :D I'm 14 years old learning Japanese, and I'd LOVE it if my parents wrote that to me. So great job! I'm sure she'll appreciate that a LOT.
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

words to be careful with 2009/5/9 08:24
Ippatsu, good try but I hope you don't ever use "omae" to people you meet. If you said it to the wrong person you could offend the person enough to make them angry- maybe study up a bit more on the nuances of the different words for "you" and "I" in Japanese.
by ロールケーキ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread