Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ueno to harajuku 2009/5/6 09:19
So pretty much
I am going to japan in September and one of the places I will be staying at is near the Ueno station and I was trying to plan to visit Akihabara, Roppongi, and Harajuku area. I was just completely thrown off and confused on what train to take or how to get there. If some one could just direct me onto what site to look at for that info or just what station to go to. that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Koba
by KobaT  

EZ 2009/5/6 13:50

Ueno to Harajuku. Take the Yamanote Loop train from Ueno. It's the one with the green strip on it. It goes both ways and to Harajuku is almost the identical time in either direction....it's a loop. Akihabara; same train but towards Tokyo for two stops. It's very close to Ueno. The simplest way to Roppongi is by the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line. From Ueno it takes 26'and costs Y190.
For trains I always rely on http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi
by RodW rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/6 15:45
It's a good idea to get a map of the public transport system in Tokyo. Guide books usually have them or you can find them on various sites such as http://www.tcvb.or.jp/en/guide/02transport.html
by AusEz rate this post as useful

Don't worry 2009/5/6 16:14
Koba,
Like you I stayed in that area and before I left was worried about how to get around... please don't worry - the Yamanote Line is so easy to get your head around and is one of the best things about Tokyo (& there are lots!!)
You'll be fine!
by OziGlyn rate this post as useful

Ueno to Harajuku 2009/5/6 19:32
Indeed the best possible way is taking the Yamanote Loop train from Ueno. Since it is a loop and to avoid the crowd at main stations like Tokyo-, Shinagawa- and Shinjuku station you might consider taking the trip via the north. In time it will be basically the same. Enjoy your stay.
by olaf (guest) rate this post as useful

does go through Shinjuku 2009/5/6 20:44
If you take the train from Ueno to Harajuku heading north to start with, you will go through Shinjuku however. This is not really an issue as you will have been able to sit down a long time before, even if you didn't get a seat at Ueno station
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/7 02:14
There are many routes possible.

Alternately from the JR routes:
From Ueno you can go to Omotesando Station by Tokyo Metro: Ginza Line which is pretty much in the same area as Harajuku| it is pretty much near one end of Takeshita Street, while Harajuku Station is at the other end.

The Tokyo Metro Ginza Line connects Akihabara by Suehirocho Station.

Also from Ueno Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line connects Ueno and Roppongi directly, the Hibiya Subway Line also connects Akihabara from Ueno Station as well (so does JR lines).

From Narita Airport you might want to consider getting one of the discounted Tokyo Metro passes from the Airport, it might be worth it (depending on how much travel in one day with the discounted Tokyo Metro pass) to use Tokyo Metro trains and lines instead of JR lines from Ueno.
by Expess Train (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/7 02:16
Skyliner & Metro Pass is something you might consider when coming from Narita Airport to Ueno.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/global/en/ticket/narita.html

Pretty good deal in my opinion, along with the other discounted Metro tickets you can get at Narita.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

ARIGATO 2009/5/7 07:08
Thanks so much
I feel soo much better
now about not getting
really lost. =D
by KobaT rate this post as useful

reply to this thread