Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to get married to Us military. 2009/5/8 21:17
I would just like to ask, my boyfriend is in US airforce, and we are planning to get married whenever I can go back to Japan. Where would we start? cause I have no idea.... like what visa I should apply. And if we get married there does that mean I can live with him until he's done with his contract there? so that I dont have to go back to the Philipines after 3 months of stay in Japan.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Need help.
by gellykai  

. 2009/5/9 04:22
Have him ask Air Force personnel. They know what to do.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/10 21:46
Ask him to ask at his Legal Office.

But in my experience you will need to get married just as Japanese people do (that is the only authority to marry anyone in Japan, military or not, is the town hall of the area you/he lives in). So you will need to go to the town hall and ask what documentation they require. Normally they need your passport and a letter from your Embassy stating that you are not already married.

I don't know if you can enter Japan on a tourist visa with the intention of getting married....maybe, but maybe not. But you can definately do it within 3 months that the tourist visa lasts for.

After you are married your new husband will need to submit many application forms in order to get you command sponsorship (i.e. permisssion for you to live here with him) - this process can take many many months. Maybe longer than your tourist visa.

I recommend getting him to ask at the legal office and you should look at the Embassy website of your country here in Japan (or call them)
by Kate (guest) rate this post as useful

Some awnsers 2009/5/20 07:26
As for the marriage things hard to say since the bases are considered US soil you maybe able to get married at the church on base and have it be legal. He will need to find out on that one. As for staying with him as former AF heres my experiance with it. I married my wife in japan shes japanese so i just got some documents and wnet to city hall with her you dont seem to be Japanese so thats not really an option. but anyways for my wife to come live with me I was stationed in Alaska(considered overseas for the AF) he will have to get a letter of command sponsor ship which I think he will need to get married anyways while stationed overseas even if he was to go back to the US and marry an american more so its needed to a non american. There is a bunch of other hoops he will have to jump through and even then they can deny you coming to stay with him since you need it to get high BAH which isnt an issue in japan since its OHA if he's living offbase also needed to get offbase if hes below the SSGT rank. in any case its bet you have him talk with the personal office their the ones that have to do most of the paperwork for marriages anyways. and on that note as well you coming to stay with him still depends on the Japanese government since you still have to get a visa from them US military in japan technicaly have to have a visa but given how things are its not likley tehy even look at the service members info they just stamp approved and move it along you how ever I dont know but honestly shouldnt be a big issue I dont belive any of my co-workers ever had issues or anyone had issues I know off with a spouse.
by AirForced (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/21 15:27
Not to dismiss what AirForced wrote, but I have just gotten married to a military member here in Okinawa. Neither of us are Japanese. The bases here (there are airforce, army and marine) had NO authority to legally marry us, even on base soil. We could have a religious ceremony, but it wasn't legal. We got specific instructions from his legal office on the steps to take. Thats where you need to go first.

And I still strongly recommend looking up the Embassy of your nationality in Japan as they should have info on getting married whilst here.
by Kate (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread