Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

should I bring cash or credit? 2009/5/12 07:51
I'm traveling to Tokyo for 9 days in July. My question is would it be wise to just bring cash with me or just use a credit card while I'm there? And if I bring cash, how much should I bring? I have a Bank of America/Visa check card, will this work at the ATMs in Japan?.
by dentist07 (guest)  

... 2009/5/12 08:01
I always bring both, cash and credit cards. I like to have cash, so I usually carry about 100,000 yen with me, just in case. But I know that this varies greatly on personal preference. Some people do not like to carry around large amounts of cash.
by Uji rate this post as useful

both 2009/5/12 08:45
Definitely do not just rely on your credit card- bring some cash as well. Japan is still largely a cash society and it's not common to use cards for small purchases like at cafes or convenience stores (and sometimes not possible).

You can use your card only at certain ATMs- Citibank, Shinsei Bank, Post Office ATMs and 7-11 ATMs.

Also make sure your credit card issuer knows that you will be travelling as I often hear of people (from the US in particular) that had their cards frozen when they tried to use them overseas in case of fraudulent use.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

yep, both 2009/5/12 09:05
Cash is essential. We noticed a few more restaurants and shops seemed to have credit this year, but not many. You will have far more options if you have cash though.
by fmj rate this post as useful

What about exchange rates? 2009/5/14 05:24
OK, thanks everyone for the responses. So I'll bring plenty of cash and a credit card. I have one other question. What's a good place to exchange currency? Should I change in the States or wait until I arrive in Japan to exchange in order to get a good exchange rate?
by dentist07 (guest) rate this post as useful

no cash.. 2009/5/14 14:03
I have been to Japan many times and have NEVER brought a lot of cash..This what ATM are for! There are now enough 7-11 around with ATM! (of course one should uses a bank card to get cash from an ATM, NOT a credit card!)
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Exchanging money 2009/5/15 03:21
Exchange it while you are in Japan because you will get a better rate. You can exchange right at Narita airport after you get through immigration.

And hopefully the exchange rate rises by the time you get there. The dollar has dropped against the yen recently. It's current 95yen to the dollar! A rise from 84yen that's for sure..

I remember the days when it used to be 120yen to the dollar. :-(
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

be on the safe side 2009/5/15 07:51
Wherever you go it is always worth bringing at least a bit of cash- you never know when something may go wrong with your card or you might lose it- better not to have all your eggs in one basket.

You don't have to bring a lot of cash, but it is worth bringing some, even if you just leave it as USD and only change it if necessary.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Sumitomo in US 2009/5/16 12:26
If you have access to a Sumitomo Bank in the LA, Chicago, or NY, you will get an exchange rate the same as in Japan w/o the large service fees that US banks also tack on.

Otherwise, do all your dollars to yen in Japan. The easiest place to use a US debit card is at the 7-11 ATMs. They will charge Y210 per transaction and you can only withdraw in multiples of Y10,000 up to Y50,000. If you have travelers checks, the main Post Offices are the easiest. Banks have shied away from travelers checks in recent years due to restrictions on financing illegitimate organizations.

I miss the days of Y245 to the dollar when I was a student!
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread