Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Baby chairs in resturants? 2009/5/13 11:25
Would like to know if a regular japanese resturant (ie, ramen resturant, yakitori resturants...etc) will have infant or child seats provided? I had been to japan twice but not with a kid then so I didn't really notice or paid attention to any baby seats in the japanese restaurants.
by Earthborne  

Family Restaurants 2009/5/13 12:18
Unless you're heading to a family restaurant or large chain restaurant (ie. gyoza no ohsho, bamiyan) I doubt it. However, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find a family-oriented restaurant like that either...
by Ralph (guest) rate this post as useful

yes and no 2009/5/13 21:59
Actually most "resturants" do have high chairs for toddlers and infants. Even the fanciest ones do. But most ramen and yakitori places aren't really "resturants" but they are "bars" and "stalls" and these tiny places usually don't have any special chairs.

When going out for casual Japanese cuisine, a lot of locals with small children choose places that have "ozashiki" seating where you sit flat on the tatami in front of a low table. It gives more freedom for the child.

Btw, I used to carry around a waterproof sheet to lay under my child's chair. It worked as a safety net in case the child spills something (and boy, he spilled more than "something"). A big plastic bag cut and folded out will do. Also note that a lot of authentic ramen bars expect you to eat speedy, therefore not necessarily fit for those with small children. When eating ramen with small children, try to find places that have tables rather than just a bar counter.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/14 11:50
thank for all your kind advice. I sort of notice that it will be out of norm to dine out with a toddler in a busy sushi or ramen bar/stall. Looks like I gotta go for family or fast-food restaurants. thanks.
by Earthborne rate this post as useful

ask and look 2009/5/14 12:33
Earthborne,

"Busy" places are indeed not fit for children, but I'd like to repeat that you don't always need to stick to family or fast-food restaurants.

According to my experiences, among the slower places, a lot of sophisticated restaurants and cafes or casual diners aimed for older people will accept toddlers and infants with open arms as long as they don't run around or scream.

Just show the baby at the entrance and ask, "Okay?" and be sure you see tables for you to be seated at. Family type and fast food are fine, but they aren't necessarily the best places to try authentic food.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread