Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

scholarship and visa status 2009/5/14 00:39
hi there! i hope there's somebody out there who can help me with my current dilemma. i am a foreign student here supported by the japanese government scholarship. my japanese boyfriend and i are planning to get married by next year. however, we are quite worried that the marriage would forfeit me of my scholarship as my visa status here in japan as a 'college student' can change into a 'spouse of a japanese national'. hence, i'd like to ask if having our marriage registered in the local ward office would require me to change my visa status. will it be alright too if i will not declare my new civil status when i extend my college student visa? i really would like to retain my college student visa until i finish my studies in 2012. thanks a lot!
by tidepool (guest)  

... 2009/5/14 06:16
hence, i'd like to ask if having our marriage registered in the local ward office would require me to change my visa status.

No, you don't have to change your status! There is absolutely no requirement for spouses of Japanese nationals to stay in Japan on a spouse visa. They can stay on student visas or working visas, if they prefer so. There is no need to cover up your marriage in front of the authorities!
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/5/25 16:28
thanks uji! i was only worried because one of the requirements to stay on the scholarship is not to change the 'college student' status to any other types.
anyway, i've heard about the new immigration law that is about to be passed. will registering the marriage/changing visa status be the same under the new law? thanks!
by tidepool (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/25 22:51
will registering the marriage/changing visa status be the same under the new law?

Registering marriage and changing visa status will remain unchanged.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread