Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dutch gifts? 2009/5/14 02:31
I was wondering if Japanese people who live in Japan like Dutch food/sweets or things? Do they like "drop"? If Yes, What kind of? Are necklaces or armbands expensive in Japan? I know they would like "Ansicht(kaart)"cards (I don't know the English name as we use the German name for it) about my place.
by Kiger  

. 2009/5/14 06:27
Chocolate is always a pleasure.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

No drop 2009/5/14 14:07
My Japanese friends (and also many people from other countries) don't like drop (liquorice). A postcard (ansichtkaart) is very welcome but you can get lots more of Dutch treats. I normally post them because carriying can be heavy but think of this: muisjes (aniseed sprinkles), beschuit (Dutch rusk), erwtensoep in een pakje (peasoup), pindakaas (peanutbutter), all 'Sinterklaas'-sweets, advocaat (eggnog), jenever (genever), gifts with Delft blue (ovenmits - ovenwanten/pannenlappen, a cup, towel, pillow cover, shopping bag, teatowel, eierdopjes etc.). Nice stuff can be bought in souvenirshops in several places (in Delft they have loads of not heavy stock) or from the brand 'Blonde Amsterdam' at V&D.
by Trudy63 rate this post as useful

ideas 2009/5/14 17:00
What do you call those thin cookie type of waffers with carmel in between? That is my favorite Dutch item ever.

Also tulips (bulbs), Gouda cheese and Van Gogh are what comes to mind to most Japanese people when they think of Holland, so although all of these things can be obtained in Japan, it would be a treat to get them direct.

I also love traditional Dutch pottery as well as the way they honor modern art. So depending on your budget, things like these might be nice, too.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

@ Uco 2009/5/15 03:27
What do you call those thin cookie type of waffers with carmel in between? That is my favorite Dutch item ever.

Syrup wafers but in Dutch 'stroopwafels' - delicious indeed.

A question Uco about the tulips (bulbs), I thought it is forbidden to import them? That custom officers will take the out of your luggage and you'll be fined? I never took them with me for that reason though I know my friends love them.
by Trudy63 rate this post as useful

Stroopwafels & Tulip bulbs 2009/5/15 07:06
Thanks, Trudy63!

Stroopwafels. I'll try to remember that.

Actually, I don't know the custom/quarantine regulations for bringing in tulip bulbs. I know that importing them isn't forbidden, as they are typical Dutch souveniors to Japan, but I believe you make an order first and then they will ship it to you later on or something. Please double-check for details.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Cookies 2009/5/15 09:30
Stroopwafels.
As already mentioned. (You can actually buy them in Japan...)
Tulipbulbs are not allowed in.
Anything with typical Dutch decoration is interesting -though not always tasy-.
Bring 1 small bag of drop, just to show. My Japanese friends are not enthousiastic about this 'doggypoo'.
And bring zakdoeken!
by Hexi rate this post as useful

dutch gifts 2009/5/15 22:52
This is an interesting topic. I am actually thinking about what gifts to bring to my friend and her parents.

I'd have to agree with everyone here that 'drop' is a bad idea. I'd let her try some when she was in Holland and she hated it. I think most foreigners would not appreciate the taste, heck, even a lot of dutch folk don't like it!

I was thinking about bringing 'roze koeken'. I don't think you can go wrong with that. Also Stroopwafels are great.

As for other items, the Delfts Blauw might sound a bit cliche, but it is very famous abroad. I am considering buying something Delfts blauw as well.

Tulips (or any kind of flower) will be difficult to bring along because of the long flight.

Ansichtkaarten don't sound very attractive to me. They are meant to be sent ;)

If I think of something I will share it here!
by Dutchman (guest) rate this post as useful

sending, not going 2009/5/15 23:11
Well, everybody is talking about going there but I was meaning to send it o.o

And those pink coockies are disgusting.
I know a lot of people don't like Drop, but there are lots of tastes and when I went to turkey they liked it. Like not every Dutch person likes cheese.

Thnx for your answers.
by Kiger rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/16 05:04
naturally, some will and some will not like it. I'm just saying it's an edgy product. For example, not all people like chocolate (i pity the fools) but there is definitely a much bigger agreement upon the liking of chocolate than there is of drop. I was not making a generalization. But ofcourse, it's your choice. Oh and, pink cookies? disgusting? you have got to get your act together :p
by Dutchman (guest) rate this post as useful

drop 2009/5/16 10:08
Trust me, drop is an interesting object for Japanese, they might sniff it, and then politely put it back.
If you are going to send some things, be aware that Japanese summers are much hotter then in Holland!!
So don't send things that can melt untill late autumn.
(some choc easter eggs I once sent arrived as one big brown blob). Unless your friend lives in Hokkaido, of course.

by Hexi rate this post as useful

one word 2009/5/16 10:24
It's been said a few times already but if you want to send something delicious just go for stroopwafels or otherwise stroopkoeken I think those are Dutch too...
But if you send stroopwafels please add to it that it's something from Gouda that's better than cheese :p

I don't think much Japanese people like cheese but still I think more people like cheese than that drop stuff...

I think that a small gift like klompen in a very little doll size are a fun gift too. Aanzichtkaarten will do fine too :o
by maanelfje rate this post as useful

dutch goodies 2009/5/16 11:54
My family and I have gone to visit my father's family a few times in The Netherlands from the U.S. (I'm half Dutch) and from what we've found, stroopwaffles survive but tend to melt together during the trip back. Rusk also breaks up like crazy (maybe we didnt pack it enough) but something we stock up on like crazy is De Ruijter Vruchtenhagel (Fruit Sprinkles) or any other of those type of sprinkles. As a family of 3 kids, those are a huge hit over some lightly buttered bread or rusk. Also small Delft pieces that are cute but relatively inexpensive are great, I treasure all the Delftware I collect. Something to do with windmills would be cute.
by nicky (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread