Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

First Birthday 2009/5/14 22:39
This might be a very silly question, please forgive my ignorance. In Japan for a baby's birthday after being alive for 365 days - would you call this a first birthday? Would the baby be considered 1 year old, (Age 1)? Thanks in advance.
by CD20  

Yes 2009/5/15 09:12
Yes, this would be the child's first birthday. I think in Korea it is not counted as the first, but I'm not sure.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/5/16 06:58
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
by CD20 rate this post as useful

one year old 2009/5/16 08:09
The Japanese count their age in the same way as people in western countries do. I believe in China they traditionally added a year in order to include the time spent in the womb, but that is not the case in Japan now, although possibly it was in the past.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

two ways of counting 2009/5/16 14:45
In Japan, practically, a baby will be "one year old" on the 365th day after birth.

But traditionally a baby is "one year old" upon birth and will be "two years old" on the next _New Years Day_ after birth.

So for example, when looking into the traditonal calender for fortune-telling, or recieving special blessings at shrines, or participating in traditional events, we count our ages in the traditional way.

However, when celebrating birthdays (the day you were born) or consulting to a medical doctor or registering official documents, we count our ages in the same way they do in France or the U.S.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you again 2009/5/16 22:52
I appreciate all the help. I was just sending a birthday card to a friend for her baby's first birthday and I wanted to select the right one! You all really helped out!!
by CD20 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread