Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

you ni 2009/5/15 04:47
Until a few days ago, I have always been taking "you ni" as "as if/like". Since this is what I've observed, and learned from sources like animes and guidetojapanese.com.

However, when I was reading Shin nihongo no kiso II a few days ago, I came across something which rocked my fundamental belief to the core.

"With C1 you ni C2, an act for a certain purpose is expressed. Clause 1 indicates the purpose or the goal, while clause 2 indicates a volitional action to get closer to the objective. you ni = so that..."

The example given was:

"Nihongo ga jouzu ni naru you ni, isshokenmei benkyoushimasu."

"I study hard so that my Japanese will improve."

From the example, it is obvious that "so that/like" doesn't fit at all. However, what if the sentence is something more ambiguous like:

"Zutto owaranai you ni utaitai desu."

If say there is no context at all, which one is more suitable? And can anyone give more enlightenment/examples on this usage of "you ni" ?
Any help is deeply appreciated.
by Zyzzyva (guest)  

as if/like 2009/5/16 15:06
"Nihongo ga jouzu ni naru you ni, isshokenmei benkyoushimasu."

means;

"I study hard so that the situation will be as if/like my Japanese had improved."

"Zutto owaranai you ni utaitai desu."

means;

"I want to sing as if/like it never ends."

and all you have to do is to transform that into natural English.

Hope it helps.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

...... 2009/5/16 17:50
Now that makes sense. Thanks Uco.
by Zyzzyva (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread