Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

getting settled 2009/5/16 17:49
Hi, I'll be moving to Japan from Australia to teach English. My contractor has not specified where I will go yet, but I'm hoping it will be a small city.

Just wanted to gauge, how much a 1DK apartment monthly rent would be.

How much in Yen should i bring for the first 2 months of my stay.

Would it be better to pack lightly and buy what I should need there, or pack heavy and pay for the extra weight. I believe I can only bring 20kg on board.
by Vi (guest)  

more info needed 2009/5/17 08:39
That's the thing- if you can't tell us where you are going, we can't tell you how much your rent will be, as it varies so much even within cities. It could be anything like 90,000 for a suburb not too far from central Tokyo to 30,000 a month in one of the more rural prefectures. In very central Tokyo the sky is the limit but it's very unlikely you would be placed there.

For your first couple of months- it depends on whether you will have to furnish the apartment, pay key money and deposit etc- can you provide a bit more information on your situation?

Also, is there any reason your employer isn't answering these very important questions for you?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

not sure yet 2009/5/17 09:50
I should know quite soon. A criminal record check clearance was required before they could place me in an area, which has just been submitted. I just wanted to get a feel of what i might require haha as i'm too excited to wait.

Shall update when i know more. Thanks.
by Vi (guest) rate this post as useful

Take at least 500,000Y 2009/5/17 10:26
My son went out to Japan as an ALT in March and was advised by the agency employing him to take 500,000Y to cover start up costs while awaiting his first pay cheque. I would recommend taking at least that amount of money with you. My son was unable to get into any Leo Palace type accommodation and it cost him half what he took out in key money, deposit, rent and furnishing for his flat - and he's only furnished it with absolute basics to date, doesn't even have a chair!

His rent is 32,000Y per month, but he's out in the sticks, 500 miles from Tokyo. As Sira stated, be prepared to pay 3 times that figure in the Tokyo area.
by ** (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread