Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fastest way to send money to my friend 2009/5/18 11:03
First of all, i want to say hi. :)

I have this friend, he is a tourist, currently staying in Tokyo, Japan. I have asked him to buy me a guitar and he has gladly accepted - however, we have this time problem. He is leaving Japan on Tuesday afternoon (early evening). What is the best and fastest way for me to send him money to buy me a guitar?

Thanks to everyone who responds and sorry for my english :)
by sl0e  

... 2009/5/18 11:53
It depends on what country you're both from, how much money is involved, and whether he needs the money you send him immediately to purchase the guitar. All of the ways I can think of take at least a day to process and/or have amount limits.

I'm guessing you can't just pay him back later?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/18 16:32
You guess well. I can't pay him later, he has ran out of money. I wouldn't send him a big sum - i was thinking around 900 dollars. And yes, he needs the money soon. I was thinking about Western Union - what do you think about them?
If it helps, we are both from Serbia.
Btw, thanks for the response, really appreciate it.
by sl0e rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/18 16:42
I was thinking of Western Union, but the last I heard they had dissolved their branches in Japan. I did find this page on their site stating they had locations in Japan:

https://wumt.westernunion.com/info/osMoneyTransfer.asp?...

but Japan was not an option when I went to look up agent locations.

I'd try calling them as it seems that at this point Western Union is your only choice.

Western Union 2009/5/18 17:01
Westernunion pulled out of Japan for a very good reason so I doubt they will help you.

Realistically your fastest method these days might be a international money order and sending it via urgent registered post if your country offers such a service.
From the US for example it will take 2-3 days.
Other option is the more popular one these days to send money to Japan, https://www.ikobo.com/country/index.php?country=Japan
This will prob take longer though.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2009/5/18 17:03
scaled down is a better use of words i think, sorry.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/18 17:36
If western union has indeed pulled out of Japan (and it appears as if they have), then it looks like you are out of luck, as even the fastest methods take at least a day to process and become available to your friend.

Thanks 2009/5/18 20:14
Ok, thank you very much for your time and your answers. I hope i will find a way to send this money.

Best regards
by sl0e rate this post as useful

reply to this thread