Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bringing crows into Japan/crow pets? 2009/5/18 11:58
Hi! I was just wondering if people have crows as pets in Japan, and not only that, but if I would be able to bring my pet crow with me to Japan while I study at the university I was accepted into. I'll have my own apartment, which luckily has a very lenient landlady. Well thanks for your time!!!!!
by Katherina (guest)  

Pet crow 2009/5/18 12:44
Katherina,

As far as I know, it is technically illegal to keep wild birds such as crows as pets in Japan, although it might be possible with permission from the local health office - or whatever it is called.
You say you have a very lenient landlady, but are you 100% sure she will let you keep a crow in your apartment? Unless you are living in a very rural area, I find that somewhat hard to believe.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/18 20:32
As Dave in Saitama has mentioned, I believe keeping wild birds including crows is prohibited in Japan. As such, there may not even be procedures established for quarantine for birds into Japan (which means you will not be able to bring him in).

Another thing to note: even if your landlady is lenient, unless you are going to occupy an old house out in the middle of nowhere, you will have to think of your neighbors too. In cities in particular, crows are considered to be more of a pest rather than pets, because they dig in and mess up the garbage put out on garbage collection sites. Some city people are scared of medium-sized birds such as crows and pigeions (I'm thinking of my own neighbors), and some old folks dislike the crowing.

So overall it would be difficult I'd say...
by AK rate this post as useful

crows in Japan 2009/5/19 10:34

Obviously I know nothing about your crow, but the crows in the U.S. are not so bad, big black birds, supposedly very smart and all that.

The crows in Japan are HUGE, steal things, get into trash and scatter it everywhere, and are generally nasty, evil pests. I think you might encounter a bad crow stereotype even if your crow is one of the smaller, nicer varieties. I learned to hate crows with a passion when I lived in Japan.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

Sorry for the mix up 2009/6/8 19:09
Sorry, he isnt the type of crow that most people would think of, he's a cross between crow & another bird (who's name I cant remember!) Hes quite a bit smaller than a regular crow as well- Thanks 4 your answers though!
by Katherina (guest) rate this post as useful

Crows are Great! 2009/6/8 19:38
(Spendthrift)

Crows are wonderful birds! Part of the countryside where I come from, and a joy to hear squawking away here, as well.

You hate them because they're big and steal (i.e. scavange) food?? Sheeeesh, c'mon...!

Enjoy your huge cuddly crow, OP (although I have great reservations about a wild crow as a pet!).
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/8 19:46
Crows or ravens (or other smart birds) can be charming I admit, Tom and Katherina, but just be sure that you clear up the quarantine procedure issue! You might not even be able to bring him into Japan at all.
by AK rate this post as useful

Likely not 2009/6/9 12:06
A crow is considered a wild bird in most countries, and upon your arrival in Japan the Immigration agents will want to know what you are doing with a crow in the first place. Make a careful explanation or you might end up getting arrested as an animal trafficker.

Once you get to Japan though, surely you could find a native crow and train it.
by ippatsu rate this post as useful

karasu darake 2009/6/9 14:20
There are certainly enough of them around!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

species difference 2009/6/10 00:57
Japan has ravens. US has crows.
Therefore, crows aren't natural to Japan's environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Crow
by UreshiiMiko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread