Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido Itinerary 2009 2009/5/18 15:26
Dear experts of japan-guide.com,
I would really appreciate if you could review my itinerary for August 2009.
I am planning to explore Hokkaido with my family by car, but I’m unsure about the large distances and the required time.

Day 1: Sapporo (overnight stay in Sapporo)
Day 2: Shikotsu-Toya National Park – Hiking Tarumae-zan, Ropeway Usu-zan, Toyako Firework (Sapporo)
Day 3: Daisetsuzan National Park – Flower Farms near Furano, Teninkyo Onsen,
Ropeway Asahidake (Asahidake Onsen)
Day 4: Rebun – Lake Kutcharo, Cape Soya, Rebun Ferry 03:10 p.m. (Rebun)
Day 5: Rebun – Hiking (Rebun)
Day 6: Rishiri – Rishiri Ferry 09:55 a.m., Hiking or Cycling (Rishiri)
Day 7: Back to Sapporo (Sapporo)

Unfortunately, there are links for accommodations at Rebun and Reshiri just in Japanese. Do you know good ones between 4000 and 6000 Yen? And are there regular bus connections? Furthermore, is there a communication road between Asahidake Onsen and Sounkyo Onsen?

I am looking forward to your response.
Thanks, Benjamin
by Benjamin (guest)  

driving in Hokkaido 2009/5/18 23:19
For driving distance and time, you can do a search by using the followiing:

http://northern-road.jp/navi/eng/index.htm
by William5 rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/19 07:25
Day 1 and 2 are possible. But day 3 should be expanded into two days.

The drive from Daisetsuzan to Lake Kutcharo and Rishiri and Rebun takes half a day or more. That would be day 5, in my opinion.

Then, day 6 and 7, preferably 8 would be Rebun and Rishiri.

I recommend to fly from Rishiri back to Sapporo, as it takes most of the day to drive there.

Note also that taking a car onto the ferries to Rebun and Rishiri is very expensive. As is renting a car on Rebun and Rishiri.
by Uji rate this post as useful

@ Uji 2009/5/19 22:57
I'm planning to park the car in Wakkanai and to explore the islands by foot (and bus). I think it would be much more expensive for 4 people to fly than rent a car.
by Benjamin (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/20 07:18
The regular one way fare is 23,500 yen and discount fares from around 14,000 yen, but in August, you probably will have to pay full fare or close to it. With a Star Alliance Japan Air Pass you can do the flight for 11,000 yen, except between August 7 and 17, which is a blackout period:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

Cost you save:
* 3-4 of car rental charges, because you drop off the car in Wakkanai already
* ferry ride from Rishiri to Wakkanai
* gasoline costs from Wakkanai to Sapporo

Additional cost:
* Airfare
* Car rental drop off fee
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread