Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Events or things to see in July? 2009/5/18 17:34
My wife and I have 9 nights in Japan from 6th to 15th July this Year. We're planning on getting a rail pass for the first 7 days and stay in Tokyo for last 3 nights but haven't really decided where else to go yet.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any matsuri or events in that time that would be worth visiting? I know Gion Matsuri takes place around that time though we'd miss the climax unfortunately, but is it still much to see earlier in the month?

I'm also interested in any smaller festivals that might not be mentioned in the guides because it'd be nice to get out of the big cities.

Thanks for any help!

Matt
by Lazlo Woodbine  

10 days in Japan 2009/5/18 19:21
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/5/18 21:22
Thanks. That's pretty useful, though any info about specific events would be great.
by Lazlo Woodbine rate this post as useful

events and festivals 2009/5/18 22:53
by William5 rate this post as useful

July festivals 2009/5/19 10:32
The Mitama Matsuri at Yasukuni Shrine is a good one - very crowded, but very scenic. Walls of lanterns, bon dancing, lots of festival food, plenty of young people in yukata, very fun. I believe it's the 13 - 16 of July, but I didn't find any good websites on it. Still, I really liked it & I'd recommend it. It will, however, be CROWDED!

This website is last year's July festival list (for Tokyo):
http://enjoyingjapan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=93
but these things are annual and will be around the same time.

At the beginning of every month the Japan Times publishes a list of festivals in Tokyo (and around); it won't be much good to you now but here's the site:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/entertainment/festivals.htm...

Other than that, for other areas, the best thing to do is some online searches. July is not as active a time as August, but there are fireworks here & there...
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread