Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much to move my household to Japan? 2009/5/19 21:04
I'm moving from Virginia in the U.S. to Aomori prefecture. Has anyone made a similar move and have any details on how much this will cost? I'm getting estimates but they vary greatly ranging from $8000 - $17000 US!
by Furusho  

think...about...it 2009/5/20 11:17
Why don't you just call a company and get estimates...seems like the more common sense answer since household to household varies. It depends on what you are moving, how many people, the items...etc...etc...etc.
by meh (guest) rate this post as useful

A similar thread 2009/5/20 12:09
by AK rate this post as useful

.... 2009/5/20 17:28
You shouild keep in mind that some of your stuff may not fit/work in a Japanese residence.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/20 21:41
It was $100 per 50 lbs when I moved.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

shipping cost 2009/5/21 07:43
shipping household goods overseas is based on volume not weight.
by wds (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/21 09:32
Generally yes, if you are shipping your items as cargo or by a moving service then it will be charged by volume. Large household items, such as furniture, appliances, etc. are usually shipped this way.

However, if you plan to purchase the large household items in Japan, then you may be better off shipping your personal items (clothes, toys, etc.) through the mail or as luggage on the plane which is charged by weight (with volume restrictions).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

shipping costs 2009/5/21 10:29
I think it's pretty clear he's asking about shipping household items not personal items if he's getting quotes from $8,000--$17,000. the only way he's going to get a the real cost is to call a International Moving Co. they have experts that will come to the house and check what's to be shipped and give him a written estimate. I've done it many times. always get 3 or 4 estimates.
by wds (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread