Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

travelling to Japan Alone for first time 2009/5/20 09:34
Hey guys I am planning a trip to Japan near the end of August but none of my friends can afford to go or want to go and I am wondering how much fun it would be going by myself.

Also I did not realize until lately legal drinking age in Japan is 20 and I am 19 I thought I might be able to me some people at bars and clubs since I will be alone but there is probably no chance that will happen now so my question is what kind of nightlife is there for under 20's and what are some good ways I can meet people while im there? (local for foreign)
by shaun91  

tripping along 2009/5/20 20:06
yours is a very very frequently asked question..have you travelled alone in countries others than yours and where English is not the main language? Many people, from 18 to 90 travel to Japan on their own, without speaking Japanese and have a great time. Learn as much as you can about practical things (one good place is the A-Z tab at the very top of this forum. You are lucky that you will not be able to drink. Drinking make people do very stupid and dangerous things and if one is foreigner this can mean waking up in a jail. The last thing I worry about when travelling is trying to meet people. Don't be desperate for company and avoid people speaking your language. Go with the flow and you likely will meet interesting people when you least think about it. .
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

yo 2009/5/20 23:31
I traveled to Japan by myself when I was 18.

Clubs were no problem, no one I.D.ed me... Might be different for guys though.

I don't know if they do the wristband thing, (depends where perhaps) but I didn't have one, and I drunk a few drinks. I wouldn't recommend you getting drunk though. A few drink are alright I guess...

But you're underage and it'll probably land you in hot water if they catch you, if you're being some rowdy foreigner in the streets, or acting up in the club, etc...

by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

No problem 2009/5/20 23:50
I went when i was 19 and it was no trouble getting served.

Met some legendary people in roppongi and got steaming drunk and had the time of my life!

You're gona love it.

If you're in roppongi go to BAR MANIA.

Its run by cool people and its just ace
by TomD rate this post as useful

Why? 2009/5/21 02:06
Why do you need to go all the way to Japan to experience nightlife with a bunch of foreigners and have a few drinks? Seems like a waste of time and money since you could do the same thing at home! I'd understand if you were willing to travel around the country and experience Japanese culture, etc but for nightlife? You should just wait for your friends to have enough money and go later...
by Ralph (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/5/21 02:10
thanks for your advice guys. Im no really interested in getting really drunk, making a fool out of myself and getting in trouble (even though that can happen when u drink) I was more interested in it because I have heard the nightlife in Japan can be really awesome and somewhat different than other places. I am from Canada where the legal drinking age is 19 and I just realized that its 20 in Japan. I have never really been to a club and I just thought it would be a cool experience and maybe a way to meet people since I will be on my own but it doesnt look like that will happen now. I dont really know if I want to try and get in because ill be in a foreign country.

Thanks for all your responses I went to some other forums and no one replied to my posts.

One other thing if I wont be going to clubs and bars what kind of nightlife is there in tokyo for under 20's thanks in advance
by shaun91 rate this post as useful

Its not just about nightlife 2009/5/21 02:50
I understand where you are coming from Ralph but that is not what I am going to Japan for I am very interested in Japan historically but I do plan to spend a few days in tokyo.

I am currently practicing Kendo here in Canada and my sensei said when I got to Japn I would be welcome to go to his house and meet his family, maybe experience some old Japan from them.

So I am not just interested in nightlife I just want to know what I can do when im in tokyo and I am a bit worried about going by myself because I wont have anyone to talk to about what I did and the amazing things I saw

... 2009/5/21 03:50
...I am a bit worried about going by myself because I wont have anyone to talk to about what I did and the amazing things I saw

Take a digital camera and take tons of photos. You won't regret it. Then you can tell your friends about the amazing things you saw and experienced. More than likely, next time around, you will have some company.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

also... 2009/5/21 05:18
Why don't you post in the friends sections of classifieds?

Tell in the ad that you're coming soon, and would love for some folks to show you around or something.

I'll be around, but it's kinds weird to host cuz I'm a foreigner too lol. But I know different prefectures of Japan really well. When are you coming? I have a friend visiting in August, and I'll go "pick him up" from the airport and ride the train back.. and help him tour or something, go out. It's his first time too, so I dunno if you needed some help. lol.

ah, 2009/5/21 05:20
Im 20 btw.. in case you're worried about some big age difference. lol

Basic preperation 2009/5/21 06:08
Though learning a few words of Japanese is not absolutely essential, it can really help get the most out of a trip...Im just taking about knowingba few words, for asking where sonething is, please, thank you etc...

If you can afford it, signing up to a guided tour can be fun, its a nice way to meet people and to see some of the big sights.

Id also advise getting a guidebook now, and planning they places you really want to go, and the nearest stations to those places. I spent a bit of time doing this before my first trip to Tokyo...it meant I had a clear idea of what I wanted to do and how to get there.

On my second trip to Japan in Kyoto, I was less organised, and I wasted a lot of my holiday trying to find places to go.
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/21 09:34
If you learn a bit about where you'll be going and how to get there, you shouldn't have a problem, with little to no Japanese ability.

I'm from Canada too, I went alone last April when I was 19 and this April and I'm now 20.

If you're there long enough (I went 3 weeks both times) it might get a little lonely, but for your first trip you'll probably be too excited seeing all different stuff in Japan.

I can't say much about the nightlife as I don't drink, but you'll enjoy yourself either way.
by Nathan89 rate this post as useful

thank you so much 2009/5/21 16:12
Thank you everyone for your responses they are all very helpful. I have decided now I am going to go for sure I just need to get everything arranged.

Reina thank you for your offer to show mw around. To answer your question I will be going around the middle to end of August and any help I can get would be awesome. It would be nice to meet new people and get some info from someone who has been to Japan before. Also I will look in to posting an ad and see if anyone can show me around. I just found the idea a bit weird because in most countries people wont do things like that and if they do they are probably trying to get something out of you, but from all accounts it seems like Japanese manners and culture play a big part in how helpful and nice they are compared to a lot of the world.

Also thank you for your advice Chris I am currently studying kendo and I have learned a bit of Japanese from my many sensei... so I guess if i get in to a conversation about kendo I might be fine but if im lost i will be screwed lol. I do plan to learn the language even more and that is also one of the reasons I want to go to Japan so I can get first hand experience.

Sorry for my extremely long post I just want to extend my gratitude to you guys for all your help. I think with this site and knowledgeable people like you I will have a great time and be well pre-pared . If anyone has anymore advice I would greatly appreciate it

thanks
Shaun

you will enjoy 2009/5/21 17:53
check out this website, LOTS of very useful information and/or get you a tourbook for Japan. It helps to have a lists of things you want to see and a list of things you'd like to see if you have the time. And look in the "friends" area on this site. I have met some very good friends on here, and we hang out every time I go to Japan. And I make new friends everytime I travel to Japan.
Get a small Japanese dictionary and learn some simple words. It will be helpful. (though not totally necessary) And get train and subway maps for whatever city your going to. (that is very helpful) And read the "how to use" train and subway sections on this site. That is a must! And bring a camera with lots of memory cards. That way you can show all your friends the fun they missed when you get back home. you will enjoy
by drdaz rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/22 04:15
Yea dude, nothing wrong with online. I have met some of my bestest friends online, american and Japanese, and have kept in contact known most for like 4 or 5 years now.

Even the new people I've meant, one thing you should know is that Japanese people are amazing trusting. Too trusting for their own good, someone might take advantage of it! One time I dropped 2000 yen in some department store or outside in Harajuku (i didnt know it was missing), and some guy ran all the way after me to the train station to give it back! Americans would totally keep that. LOL! (But luckily he did give it back cuz that was my last cash on hand to buy a train ticket.)

But in general.. its totally cool to meet strangers online, hitchhike in japan, (you'll probably end up being treated to a meal,and a futon for the night lol), etc.

Sure there are bad apples in every culture and you should exercise caution, but at least you dont have to be a paranoid as you (or rather, I) would be in the U.S.

After the first time when I came back, everyone seemed soooo RUDE!! lol

clarify 2009/5/22 04:20
When I returned to the U.S, I mean. Rudeness. @_@ took a while to get used to again. LOL.

How much money 2009/5/22 04:53
Hey guys

I am wondering excluding airfare would 1500 dollars canadian be enough for a 7-10 day trip in japan. and will it be enjoyable with that low of a budget. I just got switched to part time so I wont have as much money as i was hoping to take and if it is not enough what amount would u guys reccomend to take?

well.. 2009/5/22 05:18
you'll be concentrated in tokyo right. I think that's enough. My first time, I stayed for a month, and I had like 1000 US dollars. (I eventually go more, as I had a 2 week paid vacation from work.) That should be enough for travel, spending money of a few things, and accomdation.

If you need cheap accomdation in tokyo, google search Ten Ten guesthouse. It's like 1300-1500 yen to stay there everyday. (But you will have to pay $100 deposit when checking in), and you will get it back when you check out. I stay there for a few days myself and friends' houses.

Try to bring more you you want to splurge a bit, but doesnt that seem like a lot of money to you? 1500 to spend in a week in Canada? So yeah, it's enough.

Maybe your parents send more if it comes down to that. (say some unexpected costs came up, and if they want you to return home you need another 200 bucks.) lol.

and... 2009/5/22 05:21
by splurging I mean maybe you want to take some electronics or something back. XD. But even in akihabara, I know where the discount electronics are, right off the main road...

Anyway, there's plenty to do, that's free too visit, and without you needing a lot of money. I think you'd still have a good time.

here ya are 2009/5/22 05:30
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_15.html

That's a 17 day itenieary in Tokyo.

even the low Budget amount, is less than you for 17 days. At the current rate:

96000 yen = 1,156.91 CAD

Sooo for 10 days, it's enough lol.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

reply to this thread