Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Possible to camp around Japan? 2009/5/22 13:32
Hi, i'm planning on going to Japan in mid June for approximately two months. I was thinking about bringing a tent and sleeping bag to camp and save money on accomodation is this easy/possible to do in Japan? Is it legal to camp in places other than designated campgrounds?

Any infortmation you can give me would be greatly apprecaited.
by David Swinson (guest)  

... 2009/5/22 15:05
It is illegal. But there are several thousand camp grounds across Japan:
http://www.mapple.net/camp/
by Uji rate this post as useful

YH or "Net" Cafes 2009/5/22 17:43
Camping is possible at camping sites, but it's not the best way to save money in Japan as users need to pay a fee.

If you want to save money, youth hostels or internet cafes are better ideas. They will also provide you shelter from the storm in rainy Japan.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Possible 2009/5/22 22:44
It's possible to camp around Japan, and some campsites are even free. You can find a list of campsites on the JNTO website.
Camping outside of campgrounds is illegal, but that doesn't stop some people from doing it. They just set up camp after dark and wake up super early. I wouldn't suggest it though.

However, mid-June is the rainy season so it might be a bit uncomfortable camping during this time.
You could also save money on accommodation by taking night trains or night buses to your different destinations.
There is also a website, couchsurfing.com, where you can find people in cities across the world who will be willing to take you in for a night. Accommodations vary, of course.
by Bunny (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/23 00:25
Camping is difficult in Japan. Ever try to take your gear on a train?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread