Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yamanote line 2009/5/23 07:15
Could you, in theory, get on the Yamanote line at Shibuya, go all the way around and get off at Shibuya again. Assuming the cost of travel is based on the start and end stations, wouldn't this conceivably cost you nothing at all? How long would it take to travel the loop? I realise it might be quite a dull way of spending time, but in theory?
by mgal  

... 2009/5/23 10:07
Yes, it is possible. It costs you the station entering fee of 130 yen. The loop takes roughly one hour. The station entering ticket is valid for up to two hours, I believe.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Yamanote 2009/5/23 14:52
the trip isn't dull because you get to see all the areas (the line is in the open air, not underground) Just don't use at rush hour!
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/23 16:40
Thanks, both. I did assume that the train was 100% underground, so maybe this might be a good way to spend a hour after all?
by mgal rate this post as useful

.... 2009/5/23 16:57
I don't think its a good way to spend an hour unless you are fond of riding public transportation. There is nothing special about the view from the train. It's a little boring in my opinion. Better to get off at one of the stops and explore the area.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/24 00:10
It gets really boring after a bit. Especially even though its on the surface it runs inbetween high level walls at times.
by Express Train (guest) rate this post as useful

Yamanote line 2009/5/24 00:52
The first time I went to Tokyo I rode this line to get an idea of what Tokyo looked like. Since most of it is above ground there is plenty to see and for Y130 it's an inexpensive tour of the inner city.
by Steve (guest) rate this post as useful

A break from walking 2009/5/24 02:40
I walk a lot when on holiday and have often used the Yamanote line as a chance to sit and rest while travelling around Tokyo even when more direct lines are available :)
by Stan Norrell (guest) rate this post as useful

Yamanote 2009/5/24 04:04
boring? driving a car in one's home town is boring but riding the Yamanote looking at so many differently shaped buildings, as the amazing graphics of all these signs, at elevated expressways built over canals, not to mention peeking in people 's offices and homes close to the tracks, now THIS is interesting.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/24 04:52
To each his own, but it also depends on what time and around what stations you are at. Like getting squashed up against the window for 15-20 minutes during peak hours or peak station pairs is one thing, also because the seats are bench style if you want a full view either stand for the next hour, or looking over the head of the passengers ahead of you or twisting your neck around to look out the window.

If you really want to kill some time or ride a train with a view then ride the Yurikamome to Odaiba and do something, would be a lot more interesting.

Any case back to your theory. As mentioned, no it's not free, you can purchase a platform ticket for 130 yen (which is the same as the lowest JR fare ticket).

Ps. driving a car in my hometown is quite interesting.
by Express Train (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread