Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to say You're attractive? 2009/5/23 16:26
I used the search feature to see if anyone has asked the term Pretty or not so but I want to use a different term used in American, ''Attractive''. Kind of funny how we can call someone pretty, beautiful, or attractive(or handsome) and use these different words to have different tones on how we like someone's looks.

And so I was wondering if there is a way to comment on a Japanese girl's looks without sounding that I am really into her, just to give her a compliment. Usually people I know say the word ''You're attractive'' or ''You look very nice'' or compliment a certain aspect like ''I like your hair''.

I don't know if the japanese have a word for attractive but I was just wondering.
by Brio  

... 2009/5/25 07:44
Maybe something like:
- Suteki na [hea sutairu] da ne. (That's a nice [hairstyle] you've got)
- Kakko ii [hea sutairu] da ne. (That's a cool-looking/handsome [hairstyle] you've got.)
- [hea sutairu] ga yoku niatte iru ne. (That [hairstyle] really suits you)
- (Pointing at her dress) Yoku niatte iru ne. [It suits you well.]

Of course there are words like "attractive" ("miryoku-teki" comes to mind) but if you simply say that about the whole person, that *can* sound like you're into her :) So maybe complimenting on the *looks* like above would be fine.

If you've met someone more than once:
- Kyou wa ichidan to suteki da ne. (Today you look even more attrative!)

Just to give you the nuances:
"suteki": nice, nifty, attractive in a lighthearted way
"kakko ii": handsome, cool-looking, good-looking
"miryoku-teki": attractive, very interesting (person)
by AK rate this post as useful

Cute? 2009/5/25 21:35
My (limited) experience of complementing Japanese women tells me that whereas European and American women would like to hear the complement 'pretty' or 'attractive', Japanese women appear to want to hear 'cute' (kawaii). Maybe AK-san or Uco-san would like to comment?
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

reply to this thread