Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Money required for comfy stay in japan 2009/5/26 00:02
i am gettin a scholarship for study in japan ,tuition pay would be exempted + a stipend of 125k/month would be given .....i wanted to know whether that would be enough.
thanks for reading
by Shane (guest)  

rent is the main factor 2009/5/26 08:44
That really depends on what you consider to be comfy and how much your rent will be- if it takes up more than half of that amount then you would have to be fairly frugal with the rest and might want to look at getting a part-time job so that you can have some spare money to travel in Japan and try various activities.

How about your transport- is that covered? And utilities? (gas/water/electricity)

It also depends on what you think you need/want to do- more expensive cellphone? Haircuts often? new clothes? Going out to bars more than about once a month?
Internet connection? Any of that would be pretty hard on that small amount.

As a comparison, entry level jobs for university graduates usually pay at least 200,000 a month at a bare minumum.

I personally wouldn't like to live on that stipend as I think I would struggle to pay even the basic living expenses.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Depends 2009/5/26 09:59
That would depend if rent is paid for or not. If not, to actually enjoy your lifestyle on that money, you wouldn't want to be paying more than probably 50 000 yen in rent. If utilities are not included, then you won't be left with much at all to enjoy a 'comfy' lifestyle.
If rent is included, then this amount would be fine to live on. Spend it wisely and you can save a bit to travel too.

Just in reference to the above post, a normal entry level salary for local employees is not really a bare minimum 200 000 yen/month. Many jobs pay roughly this, sometimes more, sometimes less (but not much less). Obviously this depends on the job.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

pay for graduates 2009/5/26 13:37
Smoke, note that I said "for university graduates". Sure, working at a combini or fast food place will pay a lot less, but most people going out of university into office jobs will be looking at at least 200,000 yen, and even that isn't very much if you have to pay all your expenses yourself..
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Scholarship 2009/5/26 14:00
Without knowing much about scholarships in Japan it sounds like you are expected to also have an additional source of funds.

125k a month is no way to live especially for a foreigner who may find it difficult to get into cheaper accommodation.
Personally I think you should be expecting to pay at least up to 80,000 in rent. Of course this is going to change depending on location.

If your rent/utilities are already covered then I dare say you get more "pocket money" than I am allowed! :)

Sira is correct too. A graduate can certainly expect a starting salary of 200k going into an office job. The lucky one's will find a job where the company offers a rental apartment very cheap. A friend working for SAP in Nagoya managed to get a very nice apartment in the city and pay only 17,500!
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Oops! 2009/5/26 14:12
Sira - You are right. I have misread your post..sorry!
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

Oops ! 2009/5/28 19:18
sorry,i forgot to add that accomodation will be provided and most probably food will be free too(also no electricity,water bills,etc)
by Shane (guest) rate this post as useful

Looks good then 2009/5/29 10:42
Shane, in that case 125k will be more than enough. Of course, Japan being Japan, the apartment you're given might be smaller than what you're used to and so on, but it looks like you should be comfy enough and don't have to worry about finances that much unless you have terrible spending habits. And as others have already said, if you choose to live on the frugal side, you should be able to save some of the money for travel around Japan or some other small luxuries.
by Diipadaa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread