Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Clemence - name translation 2009/5/26 04:42
Hi, I'm trying to translate my gf's name to Japanese but some sites give me "Kurimensu" and others "Kuremensu". What would be the proper one? Clemence is really spelled Clémence in french, does it change anything? Thank you.
by timz (guest)  

... 2009/5/26 09:34
What matters is how it is pronounced - so is the "Cle-" part pronounced with "i" sound or "e" sound?
by AK rate this post as useful

Clemence 2009/5/26 21:19
I would say ƒNƒŒƒƒ“ƒX, kuremensu, is the closest, especially given the French pronunciation.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/26 23:10
Actually, the common Western name Clemence has always been known in Japan as ƒNƒŒƒƒ“ƒX which would be "kuremensu" if you were to write it literally in alphabet letters.

But you are free to have your own name written in whatever spelling you want, and I suppose there are some people who chose to use ƒNƒŠƒƒ“ƒX (kurimensu) hense the sites the OP found.

For example, Google gives me 149,000 hits for ƒNƒŒƒƒ“ƒX (kuremensu) and only 111 for ƒNƒŠƒƒ“ƒX except that not all these names are a transformation of Cremence (some of them are names like Crimmins or Klemens).

Either way, as AK suggested, what you wish to choose depends on how you wish the name to be pronounced. But if you are to write it in English alphabet letters, usually you'd write Cremence, even if you're in Japan, unless it's for certain kinds of official documents.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/27 01:52
thank you everyone. it really helped me.
by timz (guest) rate this post as useful

That common? 2009/5/27 06:03
Clemence is a common western name? I have never actually seen it other than here in all my 34 years- in my home country at least it is not at all common. Maybe in non-English-speaking western countries?

Lots of Popes 2009/5/27 07:33
Sira,

There are many historical people of this name, especially as a family name. Although it's not common in the sense that names like John, Mary and Pierre are, the name represents various people who actually have a huge presense.

http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AC%E3%...

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AC%E3%83%A...

Clemence 2009/5/27 10:24
I see that it brings up a lot of hits on Google, and I'm just nit-picking really, but I don't think that Clemence would be considered a common name in any English-speaking country, and I suspect a check of a baby name website would confirm that.

"common" may not be the word then 2009/5/27 12:20
Then "common" probably is not the word I should be using. How do you say "yoku kiku namae"? Maybe "the name we often hear of."
by Uco, not a native English speaker (guest) rate this post as useful

names 2009/5/27 12:47
Maybe common, or often-heard, would describe the name in French-speaking countries, I wouldn't know. I would say that in an English-speaking country it would be a very rare or unusual name, not one that is heard often at all, to the point that I had never heard it before.

Sira 2009/5/27 15:36
I don't disagree with you. I was only trying to answer the OPs question on how romaji/kana versions work.

reply to this thread