Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living on 120,000 yen a month 2009/5/27 12:58
I want to apply for a job but the salary is about 120,000 yen a month. Right now I make more than double that.

Any ideas on how I can live on so little money in Tokyo?
by Johnny82  

very tough 2009/5/27 14:30
I don't really know how you could live off that alone (unless rent is free). I saw in your other thread that its a job in anime which seems something that you would like to do. Maybe see if you can do it part time as it would be good experience and perhaps teach part time or something (you may have visa issues though).

Or, perhaps get a part time job to work on top of that like teaching every Saturday to make enough to cover your rent. Marriage celebrants can make a fortune if you are good.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/27 14:47
Lived as a student so I know it is completely possible, but you can't do it alone. Eg. find a really cheap place to live in, or find a roomate(s) to share in the cost of lodging which is pretty much the bulk of the money spent.
by Express Train (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/27 14:57
Well, let's see. Right now my rent plus utilities are about 65,000. Which would leave me with about 55,000.
That should be enough for meals and transportation. I may have to find a cheaper place.
by Johnny82 rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/27 14:59
you'll definitely need other work, you most likely can't even keep your visa on 120,000 a month. There is no legal minimum, but in reality immigration will usually not issue visa for work under 200,000 a month. The bare minimum I've ever heard of to get a visa was 180,000. This would be especially true if you apply through Tokyo- I've heard immigration takes cost of living into account and will not give a visa to anyone they suspect will have to go on welfare to support themselves.

Assuming you can find part time work to bolster your income to 18man a month or so, I guess it would be possible, especially if you live in a guesthouse. I currently live in Osaka but am saving money, so I live on about 200,000 a month. That's about 5 man for rent, 3 for internet and utilities, 2.5 for transportation to work and back, around 2.5 for insurance, another 2.5 for food (mostly from the 99 cent grocery, I cook almost all my meals), leaving me around 4.5 man for buying clothes or extras I need, seeing my friends, etc (though this goes a lot less far than one would think in Osaka, and will cover even less in Tokyo). A cheap guesthouse would probably be about the same price as my rent, and probably cut out the utilities, and there's always instant ramen.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread