Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt. Fuji climb late June 2009/5/27 23:42
I was planning to climb Mt. Fuji June 24-25, staying at a mountain hut overnight. I have now heard none of the huts will be open until July 5. Has anyone else heard this? I know late June is technically before the start of the official climbing season but I had heard snow was not heavy this year so it would likely be OK. Does anyone know?

The alternative is to do the climb in one day. If it takes 10 hours up and back I don't know if the bus schedule will accommodate. I don't mind missing the sunrise by doing a day hike. I do not want to do an overnight hike because I've got three teens with me and it feels like too much.

Thanks for any info.

Carrie
by Carrie K (guest)  

... 2009/5/28 09:44
I have now heard none of the huts will be open until July 5. Has anyone else heard this?

No! According to my knowledge, most huts open in the second half of June and on July 1 at the latest. Where did you hear that?

I know late June is technically before the start of the official climbing season but I had heard snow was not heavy this year so it would likely be OK. Does anyone know?

When I looked down onto Mount Fuji from the plane the other day, not much snow was left on the mountain. So, indeed, I don't think that snow will be a problems. Huts should be open as well... The only difference to the regular season is bus transportation, which is consdiderably less frequent before July 1:
http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/fuji.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Mt. Fuji climb late June 2009/5/28 23:42
I was working with a man at Fujiyoshida city hall who said he would get me a reservation at station 8 for the night of June 24. When I just checked back he said the huts would not be open, that "they are doing things a little differently there this year".

If the huts will be open, how can I get a reservation for that night? I do not speak Japanese so calling is not that easy but I can try if that is the best way.

Thanks for your help as always!

Carrie
by Carrie K (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/29 07:20
It's true! I can't believe it. They do not even open in time for the official season's start!

http://www.city.fujiyoshida.yamanashi.jp/div/english/ht...

... 2009/5/29 10:02
Despite what the Fuji Yoshida website is stating, I was just able to find several mountain huts on the Kawaguchiko route, that open before July 5.

Online reservations for the following mountain hut are possible from July 1:
http://goraikoukan.jp/reserve/#reserve_form

The following one is open for reservations from June 26:
http://www.nande.com/navi/yoyaku/date_toyokan.asp?id=10...

The following one from June 29:
http://www.mfi.or.jp/tomoekan/cal.html

The following from June 27:
http://www.kamaiwakan.jpn.org/inputform.htm

I suspect that those 7/5 starting dates posted on the Fujiyoshida website are an over reaction to last year's problems when there was still snow on the mountain until the first days of July, which probably resulted in problems and claims by irresponsible climbers. That is just my guess...

Mt. Fuji climb late June 2009/5/29 13:19
Thank you so much for tracking all of this down! Very interesting.

We can not climb any later than June 25/26 because we fly home on June 27. So if you hear of any huts open the night of June 25, I would love to hear. Otherwise I think we will have to do it as a day hike, which would also be fine. We hoped to see the sunrise from the top. But if we do it as a day hike, it will still be great. Just need to figure out the bus schedule or possibly pay for a taxi so we can get an early start since it's quite a long hike to do in one day.

Thanks again for the information. I appreciate it so much!

Carrie

... 2009/5/29 15:43
The bus schedule will probably be as follows:
http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/fuji.html

Mt. Fuji climb late June 2009/5/30 01:22
Thanks for the bus schedule. Looks like the first and last busses do not give us enough time to climb so I will look into a taxi.

Thanks again.

water on Mt. Fuji 2009/6/18 17:40
Does anyone know if you can buy water on the mountain? We are planning to climb Mt. Fuji on Saturday, June 20th.

Thank you!
Lisa
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

water 2009/6/18 18:40
yes, they sell water, food, and other things at the stations along the way. There are also vending machines at the top! Be aware that things get progressively more expensive as you get higher.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Toilets! 2009/6/18 22:59
This may be a weird question, but are there restrooms or toilets along the way? Anything? I'm making my climb the early evening on July 7th and I'm trying to plan on the food and snacks to bring along. Thanks!
by aurora (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/18 23:10
Yes, of course there are- given that most people are on the mountain for more than 12 hours, you didn't think everyone, including the people who work on the mountain, hold it in for all that time, did you? ;-)
The toilet system is not very environmentally friendly, however, and is one of the reasons that Mt. Fuji is not yet a world heritage site- you will be wanting to use them as little as possible if they are still the same as they were in 2000 when I last climbed.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Our Trip Today 2009/6/18 23:59
My brother and I went to Mt. Fuji today, and started our hike from the 5th station by Lake Kawaguchi. It was definitely a nice work out. We only made it to the 7th Station. We had hoped that we could make it to the top, but we figured it would be best not to go all the way up the ascending trail. There were quite a few signs telling us that it wouldnft be a good idea to continue until they officially open. Didnft seem so dangerous, but we didnft want to take anymore chances.

There is a warning posted at the entrance "This ascending route is so dangerous for snow slips and falling rocks that you cannot pass until June 30. During this time, the route does not have any indemnification. Yamanashi Prefecture will not be held responsible for accidents or fatalities that occur on this route during the period."

The weather was pretty foggy. We could not see further than 5 feet most of the time. There were a few moments when the sky cleared and we could see to the top of the mountain. There was barely any snow at all, only left over piles from what has already melted.

We still enjoyed the hike though. We eventually plan to make it to the summit, but will wait until they officially open and the weather is a lot nicer. During our whole hike, we never passed anyone or seen anyone else. And all the huts were definitely closed.

At the 5th station they have restaurants, a few souvenir stores, and a convenience store where you can buy food and water. There are a bunch of vending machines as well. I gotta say though, the bathrooms were the worst thing ha-ha. You have to pay 100 yen to use them, which pays a guy that supposedly cleans the bathroom (he sits right next to the restrooms). Letfs just say that the bathrooms were not in good shape at all. Anyway, there are signs asking not to waste any water that you use in the sink. The water they get has to be transported up, and their supply is limited.

Good luck to everyone headed up, and hope you enjoy.
by Ags rate this post as useful

Fuji Climbing Season one week late 2009/6/26 13:31
I live in Fujikawaguchiko, and from what I've been hearing there was not enough snow melt at the summit for people to safely climb yet. 8th station mountain hut is still under snow, you can only see the roof. Looks like they are being cautious this year, but hoping only 1 week late to start the season. It's been really hot the last couple days, so maybe that will help. :)
by sakekudasai (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread