Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Simple life in Japan? 2009/5/30 04:33
Ok, I'll get straight to the point. Is $20,000.00US enough to start a simple life in Japan? I know it depends on alot, but I was just wondering. Does anyone think this is enough to get a (very) small apartment(outside of central Tokyo since it's cheaper) and make it for a while. I know I'd have to live the rugged life for a while, but I was wondering if it's enough for an start in Japan.
by Angelica (guest)  

... 2009/5/30 08:32
Yes, $20,000 is enough to live in Japan for at least one year without an income. Of course, there is also the visa issue.
by Uji rate this post as useful

visa? 2009/5/30 10:05
That is certainly enough to live on for a year, but as Uji says, the visa would be an issue. Unless you have Japanese ancestry or marry a Japanese, you can only stay 90 days if you don't get a working visa (needs an employer to sponsor you and to fulfill other requirements). Without a proper visa most landlords will not rent to you and you are unable to set up a bank account etc.

It is usually possible to leave Japan after 90 days and then come in again, but Immigration is unlikely to accept you doing this a third time in the same year, so you would have 6 months max.

Very few countries in the world allow people to just move there without working or having some kind of tie to the country.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

I know 2009/5/30 10:31
Yeah, I know I'd have to get a visa and a job in Japan. I just wanted to know if that would have been enough money wise. Thanks for the help though!
by Angelica (guest) rate this post as useful

coming to Japan 2009/5/30 11:23
Most people coming here to teach English bring about the equivalent of $3,000USD to start them off. Japan is not such an expensive country that $20,000 doesn't go a very long way- that's more than many Japanese people earn in a year.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Not only 90 days 2009/6/1 16:25
For most visa waver countries, you can only stay for 90 days in Japan. however, if you have a British passport, you can stay for 180.
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread