Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is wearing tank tops acceptable? 2009/5/31 13:17
Hi, I'm 16 and going on a foreign exchange trip to Japan. Recently, the exchange orientation send me some information that included clothing suggestions. It said that wearing tank tops/spaghetti straps is a no no, and you can't show your bra straps. I'm wondering if this is actually true. Do people see teenagers wearing clothing like this? I have a lot of clothing like that and I like wearing it, but I don't want to if it's going to be looked down upon or considered strange...Your input would help a lot! Thank you!
by Kbot (guest)  

. 2009/5/31 18:55
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/31 19:30
As mentioned, it's quite common for teenagers to wear thin-strapped tank tops on their days off.

However, upon school activities, most schools encourage you to wear something more modest and students usually follow suit.

As for bra straps, it's not really "in" to show them. But then, it depends on the design of the strap. Why not look around and check the trend, once you're hear, as it also depends on the region you live in.

On a related note, wearing no bra under tank tops is quite uncommon, and often thought of as "too much".

Either way, tank tops will come in handy, because you can certainly wear them inside your house, and if you happen to not feel right about wearing them outside your home, all you have to do is to wear sleaved shirts or cardigans on top of them, which actually is a trendy way to to wear tank tops.

Also note that a lot of places have harsh air-conditioning, so carrying something to wear over your shoulders does help.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/31 23:26
Some high schools in the USA prohibit spaghetti straps. Tank tops are okay, but when you are not sure, it is always safe to stay in modest side.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

It depends 2009/6/1 15:00
It may be common to see Japanese in tank tops in the city (I don't recall it being a problem in Tokyo)... but in the country, it isn't.

I think it's strange that very short skirts and shorts (so short you can see just about everything) are perfectly fine even in the dead of winter and strapless or very low-cut shirts get you eyebrow raises... but they really do.

Where I live and likely other rural areas, tank tops are probably going to be out-of-place and others might possibly consider them inappropriate (unless you have a shrug or light jacket over them).

That said, I would encourage you to wear whatever you want :) As long as you aren't on business or at school (in which case, err conservative), you should be the one who decides how you feel in your own clothing. I've given up trying to fit in on the sleeveless shirt issue ~ it's too hot to bother :) Seeing other foreigners on the street in tanks warms my heart.
by Mia (guest) rate this post as useful

cities- yes, rural-no 2009/7/9 23:35
Just backing up what the other Mia said. My little town certainly gives me the look when I wear tank tops (and they straps are a couple inches wide too!), and I'm pretty flat chested so that can't be the reason why. I have seen some other girls my age, and even a few shop attendants a bit older than me, wearing tank tops too though, so I'm not alone.

However, short short SHORT skirts with straight-up garter stockings and heels are almost normal (you can spot them every few minutes).

Still, wear what you want to wear. Like everyone else has said, people are going to stare anyway.

One exception is if you're visiting temples or shrines, in which case bring a light cardigan to throw on top just to be sure.
by MiaBoBia rate this post as useful

reply to this thread