Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

desu ga/kedo 2009/6/1 03:46
Hi. I would like to clarify some confusion about this "desu ga/kedo" gobi. I have learned from a few places (can't remember where) that if you use a "ga" or a "desu ga" to end your sentence, it would sound more polite. I tried that a few times in my correspondence with my Japanese teacher. But most of the times, she would say that there is no need for the "ga" at the end of my sentence. I am rather puzzled. Have I used it wrongly? Here are some of the examples:

1.会話はあまりうまくないと思いますが

2. 学ぶつもりですが

Or is it that this grammar can only be used with "no desu ga" (/n desu ga) only?

Onegaishimasu.
by Zyzzyva (guest)  

... 2009/6/1 07:05
I'd say it's not really a grammar issue.

The reason it sounds "more polite" is because this "...ga" adds a bit of hesitation, so it's more roundabout, thus less direct, more polite.

But for the sentences you've listed as example, is there any reason to attach the feeling of hesitation? I'd say no. (They are modest comments about yourself, right?)

And using it excessively makes the whole tone of talk sound like full of hesitation, as if you are indecisive about everything, so I can understand why your teacher might try to get you out of the habit :)
by AK rate this post as useful

hmm... 2009/6/1 18:19
I see...Do you mind giving a few practical day life examples of this use? And how often is it actually used?

Thanks AK. =)
by Zyzzyva (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/1 22:37
Come to think of it - as I try to come up with examples from my day - I guess I'm not using the "...ga" simply at the end of the sentence to be polite. I might use it with a clear intention to say "even though..." or for "yes,.... (but so then)?" kind of question. What I mean is situations like:

- A colleague of mine asks me if it's OK they change the company section's meeting time from 10 o'clock tomorrow morning instead of 9 originally planned. I say "hai, watashi wa ii desu ga." (Yes, I'm OK with that...), "though," implying, that they should ask others as well.

- A colleague of mine asks me if I have time tomorrow evening, so I say "hai, jikan wa arimasu ga?" with an upward intonation (yes, I have time... so?), expecting to hear the reason for the question, which I probably find interesting.

- My boss asks me if I have time tomorrow evening, so I say "hai, jikan wa arimasu ga" with a downward intonation, (yes, I have time... ), expecting to hear that he might ask me to do overtime, which I do not want to.

So... maybe the first one is closer to what you are looking for. But, well, maybe I'm of the outspoken type lol but I cannot think of a typical situation I would really use that *intentionally* to be polite.

Maybe to avoid sounding like you are indecisive, it might be better to drop it altogether, and use other honorific expressions if really needed.
by AK rate this post as useful

all right 2009/6/1 22:54
Great explanation. All right then, thanks a lot. =)
by Zyzzyva (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread