Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What does Japan Only mean? 2009/6/3 22:24
Hi everybody,

I am a foreigner who will be in Japan in July.

I want to buy some Japanese DS games in Japan, but I know that on the covers of many Japanese DS games ''For sale and use in Japan Only'' is written. Many games and video dvds are also ''Japan Only''.

So, does ''Japan Only'' mean that I can't bring that item outside of Japan? So even if I buy that item in Japan, I can't bring it with me to my home country right?

I will be very happy if you make this clear.

Thanks in advance!
by Mellow (guest)  

DVDs 2009/6/4 07:31
DVDs are region coded. You can't play them outside of the region in which you buy them.

...buuut, these days it's pretty easy to find a region free DVD player (will play DVDs from anywhere, ignores the region code). You can also use a video player on a computer that doesn't respect region coding, like VLC.

Don't know about the games. They might do something similar, in which case you'd need a Japanese DS. Or a hacked one, if there are any (don't know DSs so well), which would be able to play any game from anywhere, in theory.
by Winterfell rate this post as useful

region coding 2009/6/4 10:03
I want to buy some Japanese DS games in Japan, but I know that on the covers of many Japanese DS games ''For sale and use in Japan Only'' is written. Many games and video dvds are also ''Japan Only''.

DS games are not region coded. You can buy them in Japan and they will work in a foreign bought DS. Other console games are typically region coded, it depends on the console.

DVDs are always region coded and will not work unless you have a region-free player. Also, be aware that they have localized language options and often will only have the original and Japanese dubs and subtitles. Region free bootleg dvd's are not a common item in Japan as they are in other foreign countries.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thank you for your answers. 2009/6/4 17:43
So, "Japan Only" means that these items are designed for devices in Japan and are sold only in Japan.

So, having a "Japan Only" DS game in my baggage while returning from Japan is legal or illegal?
by Mellow (guest) rate this post as useful

legal 2009/6/4 17:58
So, "Japan Only" means that these items are designed for devices in Japan and are sold only in Japan.

Correct

So, having a "Japan Only" DS game in my baggage while returning from Japan is legal or illegal?

Legal, unless you're looking for eroge in which case it depends on the laws of the country you are returning to ;)
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Player not guaranteed; charge correctly 2009/6/5 22:01
Have you got a DS series player? I recommend that you make sure how to charge the battery. It might be risky to set a player connected to AC socket [outlet] in another country. Anyway, if your DS series player is designed for Japan, that would not be guaranteed overseas as to any trouble in playing a Japan-Only software title.

I inform you of the below for fear you don't know it.

Voltage and shapes of plugs for home electricity supply differ by places.
I viewed the website of the sales agency of DS series players.
The agency says that in U.S.A., Canada, or Taiwan, you can charge the battery using an AC adaptor which was packed with a DS series player designed for Japan.
The agency also asks you, however, in other places overseas, to use an AC adaptor designed for that country or a DC charger powered from dry batteries.
If your player is designed for Japan, a DC charger seems to be a must for charging in countries such as U.K. and Australia.
In many foreign countries, voltage for home electricity supply is higher than that in Japan. With regard to DS series players, I think you shouldn't use a multi-plug connector; when the voltage is excessively high and a security function can not cover it, the connector, the AC adaptor or the chargeable battery might be broken (or, possibly, catch fire).
I recommend that you check whether your AC adaptor is good for your country and make sure of the correct way to charge the battery.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

DSi region-coded; links to web pages 2009/6/5 23:01
I forgot to set links....

- Nintendo (Japanese): (Q & A page which includes how to use DS series overseas)
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/aubj/q_and_a/answer.html
I've not yet found its counterpart in English.

DSi titles which works only at DSi players are region-coded, according to the page linked from below.
That means you can play Japan-only DSi-specific titles only on a DSi player coded for Japan.
Maybe also new titles for DS Lite or for initial DS will be region-coded in the future.

- Nintendo (English): Nintendo DSi - Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/dsi/en_na/faq....

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Thanks so much! 2009/6/10 03:49
Omotenashi, I really want to thank you for the valuable information! I forgot that in Japan the plugs are different. I have remembered it now. Thanks so much!

And thanks for the region-coded new DSi games.

Thanks!
by Mellow (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread