Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji Market - auction area? 2009/6/9 06:49
Hi!

We plan to visit the Tsukiji market while in Tokyo. Doing online research and reading guidebooks, I get a bit of conflicting information.

So my question is, is the auctions area closed off to the public?

On the official website, I read that the tuna auctions are off limits except from 5:00 - 6:15 AM. So, does it mean, tourists can see auction during that open time?

We are planning on going early in the morning, like maybe 5:30 AM, and trying to get some sushi/sashimi breakfast.

What time does the restaurant usually open for breakfast crowds?
Do you think there will there be anything open for us, since we are going pretty early....or are we going way too early?

Thank you!
by Wildmonkey  

... 2009/6/9 21:36
So my question is, is the auctions area closed off to the public?

Yes, but there are some spots from where you can see the action. There are no time restrictions. But visiting the wholesale part of the market is not encouraged generally. Yet, it is still visited by a few dozen if not hundred foreign tourists each morning:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html

What time does the restaurant usually open for breakfast crowds?

I think they typically open around 5am.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Set up ur alarm clock 2009/6/10 01:00
haa it's tough waking up for tsukiji fish market. (the first time I overslept) I woke up early and camped outside the train entrance alone waiting for it to open so that I can catch the first train out.

by Ropsie rate this post as useful

Thank you for your input 2009/6/11 05:36
Thanks for the input!

We chose hotel close to Tsukiji market (within walking distace).

Our aim is to get there around 5:30 AM, catch some auction action, look at the fresh catch, and sample some great sushi/sashimi for breakfast.

Definitely hope we won't oversleep!

Thanks again.
by Wildmonkey rate this post as useful

reply to this thread