Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Advice 2009/6/12 00:07
So, I am coming from Busan taking the Ferry over to Japan from Korea and looking for some suggestions. I am looking to spend about 5 or 6 days in Japan. Unfortunately, my schedule is very tight and I can't get that much time off. In addition, Im fairly poor.

But Id love to try to get to Kyoto and experience as much authentic culture of Japan as possible. I lived in China and my favorite places were those that were really rural and let me experience the countries true beauty.

Thus I would love to spend my time either in Kyoto or in some rural villages with Mnts or temples or something....

Id be very grateful to someone who could give me a sample itinerary with a little help with prices.

Thank!
by Jeremy (guest)  

more info 2009/6/12 10:49
Could you give us a clearer idea of what your budget is and how much of the 5 days you'll have?
by TB (guest) rate this post as useful

Itinerary advice 2009/6/12 11:48
Hi Jeremy,
If you liked rural places in China (I like them too), you will probably find Japan unattractive. In fact, it is very difficult to find any authenticity here in Japan. Any famous place in Japan is crowded, expensive and overdeveloped. Kyoto-Nara and surroundings are, of course, best places to see what remained from traditional Japan, but...
You can consider to visit some post towns at old Nakasendo (http://www.oxalis-adventures.com/japan/nakasendo.php). A picture show alone visitor there, but expect crazy crowds there. Less famous post town is Ouchijuku (http://www.npoars.jp/visit/htmls/historical/ouchi.html) but is quite far from Kyoto.
I have just one advice, avoid national holidays, golden week, summer holidays, obon and colourful autumn when you plan you short visit in Japan. Consider late November-early December, that time is less touristed.
by Mariusz (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread