Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Eats - Nishijin, Issen, Ukiya etc 2009/6/12 07:39
Hihi,

Good day. I have a list here of different Kyoto restaurants/eateries of interest to try. Tried searching in the forum but didn't really get any hits.

Since we are only there 2 1/2 days, may not be able to hit all of them.

So, please, can you look through this list and see if you have tried any of these places and give some feedback.

Your help is much appreciated!

1) Toriiwaro - a shinise restaurant that serves only one dish during lunch, oyako donburi

2) Issen Yoshoku - serves only one item on their menu, okonomiyaki, very kitsche.

3) Tsunamichi - handmade udon/soba place

4) Honke Owariya - 500 years old soba place

5) Gion Koshi - serves dessert and shaved ice treats

6) Komameya - serves yuba

7) Omen - noodles restaurant

8) Isshindo soba - street ramen joint
by Wildmonkey  

Soba 2009/6/13 02:13
I don't remember trying any of those in particular, but I do know that nisshin (spelling?) soba is famous in Kyoto, so either of the soba places would be good (nisshin is a type of fish). Also, make sure to try some kyoto sweets (such as mochi) since those are also famous. Enjoy!
by AlorZaknafein rate this post as useful

my tips 2009/6/17 04:33
I didn't go to Toriiwaro, but Hisago and Chiso Inaseya, which also served Oyako Don(along other stuff) and both were very good.
Honke Owariya was pretty nice as well.
But I thought Nishin Soba was not anything special, just fish on soba. And I found that Issen Youshoku was Kyoto's junk food version of okonomiyaki, not worth your try(and you can get better okonomiyaki in Osaka and Hiroshima).

Well, looks like you are only looking for cheap place. I think you can get more tips by asking people at hostel you stay. They usually know many good cheap places around their area.

But many of Kyoto's good Kaiseki restaurants offer reasonable set menu and Bento during lunch hours, usually between 2000 and 6000 yen, and they really are worth every penny.
For instance, Wakuden in Kyoto Isetan(just in front of Kyoto station) and Sansui in one hotel just in front of the station have very good lunch menu.
And my favorite was Kaji near the Nijo Palace (their homepage is at http://www.kyoto-kaji.jp )

Good luck!
by mtmi (guest) rate this post as useful

Thx. 2009/6/18 12:32
Thank you for the feedback.

by Wildmonkey rate this post as useful

reply to this thread