Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Advice + Questions 2009/6/15 12:23
Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are going to Japan for the first time in July and we are very excited! We are still trying to figure out the details of our itinerary and would love any advice you have (are we missing any must-sees?):

July 15: Tokyo
July 16: Tokyo
July 17: Kyoto (to catch the festival)
July 18: Kyoto
July 19: Kyoto
July 20: day trip to Amanohashidate, Himeji, OR Hiroshima (which is more worthwhile/unique, given the rest of our itinerary?)
July 21: Takayama
July 22: Takayama to Fuji area
July 23: Climb Fuji OR view Fuji from Hakone or Five Lakes (which is better?)... back to Tokyo by nighttime
July 24: Tokyo
July 25: Tokyo
July 25: Tokyo

Our big questions:

1. What is the best trip from Kyoto?
2. Is it a good idea to climb Mt. Fuji during the day? We know most people climb it at night to see the sunrise, but we are afraid that losing a night of sleep will throw us off during a trip where we have to maximize every second of our time :)
3. What's the best transportation from Hakone to the Fuji Five Lakes area?
4. Given our itinerary, where should we get the ryokan experience? Kyoto or Takayama or Fuji area (Hakone?)? Can you recommend a good ryokan?
5. Are there major cities/stops missing from our itinerary that you think we should see instead of something that is on our list?
6. Any other advice/tips you have:)

Thanks so much!!!

J
by first_time_to_japan (guest)  

... 2009/6/15 20:55
1. What is the best trip from Kyoto?

Himeji and Hiroshima are both must-see attractions. It comes down to personal preference. Hiroshima requires more time for access.

Is it a good idea to climb Mt. Fuji during the day?

If the weather is fine, you will be exposed directly to the sun the whole day without any shadow whatsoever. It is a very tiring hike. You should start as early in the morning as possible to finish in time to catch the last bus of the day.

What's the best transportation from Hakone to the Fuji Five Lakes area?

By public transportation, there is really only one way, as explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html?aFROM=5200_6900

Given our itinerary, where should we get the ryokan experience? Kyoto or Takayama or Fuji area (Hakone?)? Can you recommend a good ryokan?

I recommend Hakone for a ryokan stay in combination with hot spring baths. But Kyoto also has some great ryokan. Recommendations depend on your budget range. The best ryokan, I have stayed so far, the Tawaraya, is located in Kyoto, but it is very expensive.

Are there major cities/stops missing from our itinerary that you think we should see instead of something that is on our list?

If you have only 11 days, it is impossible to see all must-see places. For a first visit, I think you made a good selection. I recommend to pick based on personal interest. If you like Japan, you can come back again.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread